This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Furtwangen im Schwarzwald (Germany)

Stadt Furtwangen im Schwarzwald, Schwarzwald-Baar-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: furtwangen | castle(red) | fir | hill |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Furtwangen city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Jun 2013 See also:

City of Furtwangen

Furtwangen City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a red - vertical vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Landeskundliches Informationssystem Baden-Württemberg
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Jun 2013

Furtwangen Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield on top of a green hill stands a red ruin of a castle with port and windows silver (= white) and a red, embattled tower. The castle is flanked by two green fir trees.
Meaning:
Furtwangen was founded after 1200 by forest clearances, caused by the Benedictine Abbey of St. Georgen. It gained the rights of a market town in 1749 and of a city 1873. In 1806 the city became part of Baden and the oldest seal is known after 1806. It simply displayed the bend of Baden. Since 1821 the seals displayed the ruin of the Heidenschloss-castle surrounded by fir trees. Since 1873 this pattern was also used in a shield and slightly modified.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.42

The banner's colours are already mentioned in 1891. According to Stefan Schwoon they might be the Austrian colours. The coat of arms was introduced by Generallandesarchiv in 1900. The tinctures and details were modified in 1960. By a decision of the local council on 28 February 1984 the pattern from 1900 was re-established.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Jun 2013


back to Schwarzwald-Baar cities and municipalities click here