This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Oeversee Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Oeversee, Kreis Schleswig-Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: oeversee subcounty | oeversee | sankelmark | sieverstedt | tarp | church tower | millwheel | swords(crossed) | plough share | tomb | mitre | anvil | key | owl | guardant | couchant |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

Municipality of Oeversee

Oeversee Municipal Flag

[Oeversee municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 12 Apr 2006
approved 3 Oct 1989

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a blue over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the hoist.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Dec 2012

Oeversee Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per fess wavy into golden (= yellow) over green. Both fields are separated by a blue fess wavy with a silver (= white) barrulet wavy. A silver (= white) tower with a blue roof is superimposing both waves. On the dexter chiefpoint are two black swords crossed per saltire. On the sinister chiefpoint is a red millwheel.
Meaning:
The tower belongs to the fortified church of Oeversee, which is more than 800 years old. The swords, a symbol of battle, are reminding on the battle of Oeversee (6 February 1864) between danish and Austrian troops. They are also symbolizing the care of the inhabitants for the killed and injured after the battle. The wheel is symbolizing the village of Frörup, which has an old watermill. The waves are a canting element. The green base is symbolizing the local meadows.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.261

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 3 October 1989. The artist is /Heinz Reinhold/ from Stenderupfeld.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Dec 2012

Village of Sankelmark (2002-2008)

Sankelmark Municipal Flag 2002

[Sankelmark village flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 15 May 2006
approved 5 December 2002; abolished 29 February 2008

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Dec 2012

Sankelmark Municipal Coat of Arms 2002

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per bend sinister and has a base of blue and golden(= yellow) waves. Above right in a blue field is a golden (= yellow) plough share. Below in a golden (= yellow) field is a blue megalithic tomb.
Meaning:
The colours and the division of the shield are alluding to the county. The waves are symbolizing the Sankelmark See, which played an important role as name giver, when the former municipalities of Barderup and Munkwolstrup had been united in 1974. The plough share is symbolizing agriculture. The six stones of the tomb are symbolizing the archaeological excavations, which took place in 1690. They are also symbolizing the six villages, which formed the former municipality: Barderup, Munkwolstrup, Augård, Bilschau, Juhlschau und Sankelmark.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms was approved on 5 December 2002. Flag and coat of arms were abolished on 29 February 2008. The local artists are Heinz Reinhold and Bernd Zich.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Dec 2012


Municipality of Sieverstedt

Sieverstedt Municipal Flag

[Sieverstedt municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 25 Apr 2006
approved 13 November 2002

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Dec 2012

Sieverstedt Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In the centre of the blue shield is a golden (= yellow) megalithic tomb superimposed by a red mitre. On the dexter chiefpoint is a golden (= yellow) anvil and on the sinister chiefpoint a key of the same colour. The green base is separated by a golden (= yellow) fess wavy.
Meaning:
The central element is the Poppo-Stone, a tomb in the village of Stenderup. The three base stones are symbolizing the former municipalities of Sieverstedt, Stenderup und Süderschmedeby. The mitre is symbolizing bishop Poppo, who is aid to have baptized here the Danish king Harald Bluetooth. The key is symbolizing St.Peter, the patron saint of Sieverstedt parish church. The anvil is symbolizing Süderschmedeby, which means southern village of smiths. The base incl. the fess wavy is symbolizing rural environment and the Bollingstedter Au, a creek. The colours blue and yellow are those of the county.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online.

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 13 November 2002. The artist is Egon Ossowski from Handewitt.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Dec 2012


Municipality of Tarp

Tarp Municipal Flag

[Tarp municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 25 Apr 2006
approved 1 February 1967

Description of flag:
The ratio is approx. 1:2. It is a blue over yellow over blue horizontal triband with ratio approx. 1:11:1. The coat of arms is in the yellow stripe and shifted to the hoist.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Dec 2012

Tarp Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a blue shield is a golden (= yellow) owl guardant, sitting on a golden (= yellow) fess wavy.
Meaning:
The fess wavy is symbolizing the Treene river. The owl is taken from the seal of the subdistrict of Uggelharde, to which Tarp belonged in 1867. "Ugle" is the Danish word for "owl". The colours are alluding to the former duchy of Schleswig.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.339

The flag was approved on 1 February 1967. The coat of arms was approved on 27 December 1954. The artist is Wilhelm Horst Lippert from Brunsbüttel.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Dec 2012


back to Schleswig-Flensburg cities and municipalities click here.