Last modified: 2013-02-28 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: mölln | millwheel | stone spindle | quarterly |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Description of flag#1:
The ratio is 3:5. The flag of the city of Moelln is split; the hoist of 1/3 flaglength is divided in a white over red field with a white mill-wheel on red and a red mill-iron on white; the fly is red over white. The fly quarters have double width. (editorial note: The existence of this flag is confirmed by Stadler).
Source: Description from the city website
Jarig Bakker, 12 Mar 2007
Description of flag#2:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a quarterly divided flag. The upper hoist and the lower fly are white, the other quarters are red. The fly quarters have double width. The common point of all quarters is shifted to hoist (ratio approx. 4:7). The point is superimposed by the coat of arms. In a red shield is a silver (=white) millwheel with 4 spokes and 12 teeth. In the white chief is a silver (=white) black edged stone spindle. But here the spindle is white with black lining.
Source: I spotted this flag on 17 June 2006 at the edge of a park in Mölln.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Mar 2007
kommunalflaggen.de shows two photos of flags like this; however the official flag is the image sent by Jörg Majewski on 2 Sep 2006.
Jarig Bakker, 12 Mar 2007
Description of coat of arms:
In a red shield is a silver (= white) millwheel. The shield has a silver (= white) chief superimposed by a red stone spindle.
The first seal of the city from 1352 displayed just a millwheel. The arms were based upon the seal. The spindle had been added in the 18th century. Since then the arms were modified several times until they were fixed in 1955. Mölln was first mentioned around 1200. The date of foundation is not known. City rights had been confirmed twice, in 1262 and 1272. The city was mortgaged to Lübeck in 1359 and belonged to the Hansa City until 1683. Under Lübeck's rule there had been an economic boom. Salt was traded and the Stecknitz Canal was built. The colours red and white are those of Lübeck. Mölln was also the habitat of a few watermills. Wheel and spindle are symbolizing their economic importance. Both elements are also considered to be canting. But the Lower German word "Möhl" (English: mill) just sounds similar to a Slavic word meaning muddy water.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.241 and Stadler 1970, p.104
Flag and coat of arms were approved on 31 May 1955 and confirmed in the statutes (Hauptsatzung), version 13 May 2003.. The artist is Wilhelm Horst Lippert from Brunsbüttel.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Feb 2013
back to Herzogtum Lauenburg cities and municipalities click here.