This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Geisenheim City (Germany)

Stadt Geisenheim, Rheingau-Taunus-Kreis, Darmstadt District, Hesse

Last modified: 2017-05-22 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: geisenheim | johannisberg | wheel | tower | bridge | dragon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Geisenheim City banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 16 Aug 2006
approved 5 October 1978 See also:

Geisenheim City

Banner:
It is a red-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
inhabitants 11,778
town newly formed on 31 December 1971 by Geisenheim and 3 more villages
Rheingau-Taunus County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 5 October 1978
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 16 Aug 2006


Coat of Arms

Shield Argent, two towers Gules, connected by a bridge Gules, flanked by a 6-spokes wheel Gules in chief and a dragon sinister facing reguardant Gules in base.
Meaning:
The two towers are symbolising the old parish church, which was demolished in 1829. The wheel is derived from the arms of the Archbishopric of Mainz, to which the city historically belonged until 1802. The Duke of Nassau granted city rights in 1864. The wheel was also part of the arms of Johannisberg. The dragon in the base is taken from the arms of Stephanshausen. Previously the city used arms of a similar design, but with two wheels instead of wheel and dragon. The towers appear for the first time on the seals of the city in the 15th century. In the gate between the towers the double-wheel symbol of the Archbishopric of Mainz was displayed. In the 19th century the two wheels were separated into the current composition. The tinctures were officially fixed in 1907. They are those of the Archbishopric of Mainz. Otto Hupp displayed the shield red with silver charges as true colours of the Archbishopric of Mainz.
The current arms were approved on 6 June 1977.
Sources: Stadler 1967, p.37 and Ralf Hartemink's webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2017


Johannisberg Borough

[Johannisberg borough flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 18 Aug 2006
approved 5 September 1969

Banner:
The banner is divided per bend sinister into red over white. The coat of arms is in top of the red field.
Johannisberg, borough of Geisenheim
incorporated at 31st December 1971
Rheingau-Taunus County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 5 September 1969
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 18 Aug 2006


Johannisberg Coat of Arms

Shield Argent, a 6-spokes wheel Gules.
Meaning:
The town was named Bischofsberg (= mountain of the bishop) and was renamed Johannisberg in the 12th century, when St. John became patron saint of them local Benedictine monastery. It was a dominion of the Archbishopric of Mainz from the 14th century until 1802. The arms thus display the wheel of the Archbishopric but in counterchanged colours since the middle of the 19th century. The change of tinctures was officially confirmed in 1895 and again in 1958. The use of the wheel as village symbol is known since 1550 on boundary stones.
The arms were approved on 15 September 1958.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.53
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2017


back to Rheingau-Taunus Cities and Municipalities Page click here