This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Obernkirchen Mining City (Germany)

Bergstadt Obernkirchen, Kreis Schaumburg, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-09-13 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: obernkirchen | church | inescutcheon | nettle leaf |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Obernkirchen mining city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Nov 2013 See also:

Obernkirchen Mining City

Obernkirchen City Flag

Description of flag:
It is a white over yellow horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: 2(1) of Hauptsatzung of the Obernkirchen Mining City, version 16 November 2011
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Nov 2013

Obernkirchen Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a blue shield is a silver (= white) church with red spires and roofs and port and windows black. Above the church is impending a golden (= yellow) inescutcheon, displaying a silver (= white) nettle leaf.
Meaning:
In 1571 the market town of Obernkirchen was entitled by Count Otto IV of Schaumburg to use a seal and a coat of arms. City rights were gained in 1615. The monastery is a convent of Augustinian nuns, which was established in 1167 and owned by the market town since 1565. The inescutcheon displays the arms of the Counts of Schaumburg. The change of colour is a type of reduction of the comital arms in order to stress the ownership of the town since 1571.
Source: Stadler 1970, p.63
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Nov 2013


back to Schaumburg cities and municipalities click here