This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Plön (Germany)

Stadt Plön, Kreis Plön, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2013-02-12 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ploen | castle | tower | wall | masoned | embattled | inescutcheon | nettle leaf | fish | bicolour |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Plön city flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 1 Dec 2007 See also:

City of Plön

Plön City Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a blue over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: 1(2) of Hauptsatzung of the City of Plön, version 10 July 2006, see here, updated 30 May 2008
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Feb 2013

Plön City Flag#2

[Plön other city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Feb 2013

Description of flag:
Furthermore I spotted a version with a light-blue stripe in the local tourist office on 2 July 2007. The shield was made in the style of Max Reinhart, the illustrator of the books of Klemens Stadler.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Feb 2013

Plön plain City Flag reported 1970

[Plön plain city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Feb 2013

Description of flag:
It is a blue over white horizontal bicolour.
Source: Stadler 1970, p.106

Plön Coat of Arms

[Plön CoA] image located by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 Feb 2013

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield over blue and silver (=white) waves, which are superimposed by a red fish, is a red castle, masoned black. The castle is consisting of an embattled wall from end to end, topped by an embattled tower having two black gates. Above the tower is an impending red inescutcheon bearing a silver (= white) nettle leaf.
Meaning:
The arms are based upon the oldest city seal from 1350, showing a castle, represented by the tower; belonging to Holstein, represented by the inescutcheon with nettle leaf; with a city, represented by the wall; on the shores of a lake with riches of fish, represented by waves and fish. Count Adolf II of Schauenburg founded castle and village in 1156. Count Adolf IV granted city rights in 1236. A proposal of the arms had been designed in 1896. In 1964 the colours were adapted to those of Schleswig-Holstein. This had already been recommended by the mayor of Plön, Mr. Friedrich Kinder, in 1888.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.272 and Stadler 1970, p.106

The coat of arms were approved on 30 July 1964. The artist is Wilhelm Horst Lippert from Brunsbüttel.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Feb 2013


back to Plön cities and municipalities click here.