This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lütjenburg Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Lütjenburg, Kreis Plön, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: luetjenburg subcounty | blekendorf | dannau | hoegsdorf | hohenfelde(kr.ploen) | hohwacht | klamp | luetjenburg | panker | schwartbuck | troendel | holy bible | barley(ear) | oak | crayfish | millwheel | ship | horseshoe | shingles | in |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

Lütjenburg Subcounty (Amt Lütjenburg)

On 1 January 2008 the former subcounty of Lütjenburg-Land and the cityof Lütjenburg establish the new subcounty of Lütjenburg, which becomes the administration seat..


Municipality of Blekendorf

Blekendorf Municipal Flag

[Blekendorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 2 Aug 2006
approved 23 September 2004

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a white over blue horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Blekendorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a blue shield is a silver (= white) mountain superimposed by a red ,closed book. On the cover of the book is a cross fleury fimbriated silver (= white). Above is a silver (= white) rope forming a lying number eight.
Meaning:
The rope is symbolizing the eight settlement cores: Blekendorf proper, a village with a church, the manor of Futterkamp, and the villages of Friederikental, Kaköhl, Nessendorf, Rathlau, Sechendorf and Sehlendorf.
The rope is especially representing Sehlendorf, which is derived from "village of ropemakers". The book, a Holy Bible, is an attribute of Sta. Clara, the local patron saint. The church was built by Count Adolf IV after the battle of Bornhlöved. The mountain is representing Kaklöhl, which means "hill (-top)". The colours are those of Schleswig-Holstein.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.91

The flag was approved on 23 September 2004. The coat of arms was approved on 25 January 1993. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Municipality of Dannau

Dannau Municipal Flag

[Dannau municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 6 Aug 2006
approved 3 July 2000

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Dannau Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per fess wavy into silver (= white) over blue. Above are an axe and a flail crossed per saltire, both being red. Below is a golden (= yellow) ear of barley flanked by two silver (= white) oak leaves.
Meaning:
Dannau was formed by the villages of Dannau and Gowens in 1928. Axe, flail and ear are symbolizing agriculture. The ear is also representing the farm Gerstenkamp, i.e. barley field. The leaves are representing Govens with its groves. The blue colour and the wavy line are symbolizing Dannau and the lake with the same name.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.121

The flag was approved on 3 July 2000. The coat of arms was approved on 31 August 1989. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Municipality of Högsdorf

Högsdorf Municipal Flag

[Högsdorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 30 Jul 2006
approved 3 Feb 2001

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a red over blue horizontal bicolour. Both stripes are divided by a broad, white, wavy line (red/blue: 2 ; white: 1). The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Högsdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is green. Above is a silver (= white) rooted oak with seven leaves and three red acorns. Below are two golden (= yellow) rings of stones ordered 2:1.
Meaning:
The tree is symbolizing the vast groves of oaks. The number of acorns is symbolizing the settlement cores of Högsdorf proper and Flehm. The rings of stones are symbolizing the early colonization since the Iron Age and the existence of a burial ground in Ruser-Steinbusch.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.178

The flag was approved on 3 February 2001. The coat of arms was approved on 7 January 1993. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Municipality of Hohenfelde

Hohenfelde Municipal Flag

[Hohenfelde municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 26 Jul 2006
approved 23 February 2004

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The sheet is divided by an ascending line into two congruent trapeziums: blue (hoist) and white (flyend). In the centre of the flag is the coat of arms. The bend sinister wavy in the shield is continued by the ascending line.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Hohenfelde Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per bend sinister wavy into silver (= white) over blue. Above right is a red crayfish. Below left is a silver (= white) millwheel.
Meaning:
The wheel is representing the historical watermill, nowadays a technical monument. Crayfish in the past was caught in the local millbrook.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.181

The flag was approved on 23 February 2004. The coat of arms was approved on 21 July 1992. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013



Municipality of Hohwacht (Ostsee)

Hohwacht Municipal Flag

[Hohwacht (Ostsee) municipal municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 3 Aug 2006
approved 21 July 1999

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a blue over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Hohwacht Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield is a blue mountain superimposed by a silver (= white) sailing ship with one mast and without sails. Above upon the chief are four red horseshoes ordered per fess.
Meaning:
The horseshoes are symbolizing the former villages of Hohwacht, Haßberg and Schmiedendorf and the manor of Neudorf. They were united in 1928 and formed the municipality of Neudorf, which was renamed in 1963 into Hohwacht. Hohwacht today is a modern spa. Ship and horseshoes are also alluding to the trade between Hohwacht and Denmark up to the 19th century. Horses were exported and grain was imported. The mountain is symbolizing a tumulus from the Bronze Age in Schmiedendorf.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.184

The flag was approved on 21 July 1999. The coat of arms was approved on 5 December 1990. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Municipality of Klamp

Klamp Municipal Flag

[Klamp municipal municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 4 Aug 2006
approved 8 June 2000

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a blue over yellow horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.

Klamp Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per pall in to golden (= yellow) over red. Above are three green ears of grain. Below is a golden (= yellow) pale. The field below is superimposed by eleven silver (= white) shingles ordred per fess.
Meaning:
The ears are symbolizing the settlement cores of Vogelsdorf, Rönfeldholz and Wentorf. The pall is symbolizing the Kossau, a local creek. The shingles are a canting element, forming a baulk or clamp. (Lower German: Klamp)
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 8 June 2000. The coat of arms was approved on 22 January 1999. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


City of Lütjenburg

Lütjenburg City Flag

[Lütjenburg city flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 29 Jul 2006
approved 25 April 1952

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The blue dlag has a white horizontal stripe at the top- and bottom edge. The figures of the coat of arms are shifted to the hoist. The silver waves from the coat of arms are blue instead.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Description of coat of arms:
Above green and silver (=white) waves is a silver (=white) embattled wall masoned black and streched out over the toal width, which is topped by a tower of the same kind. The tower has a window in its centre shaped like a four-clover leaf. The tower is flanked by two golden(=yellow) 6-point stars. It is topped by two red banners containing three golden (=yellow) 6-point stars ordered vertically. Between the flags is a red shield containing a silver (=white) nettle-leaf being the coat of arms of the counts of Schaumburg-Holstein.
Meaning:
According to Stadler 1970 the coat of arms is based upon a seal mentioned in 1271. Its existence is proven since 1353. It shows the current pattern like another seal dated 1374. It was re-designed in 1948. The stars upon the banners are a misinterpretation of the nettle leaf, the symbol of the counts of Schauenburg (later called Schaumburg)-Holstein. There are presumptions, that the castle of "Luttelinburch", mentioned in 1163, and the Slavic castle of "Liutcha" are identical. After the end of the wars against the Slaves Bishop Gerold of Lübeck built a church, dedicated to St. Michael, in 1156 in "Lutkenborch". Count Gerhard I of Holstein granted city rights in 1275. But the improper location without harbour stopped a further development.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Lütjenburg blue Flag

[Lütjenburg blue flag] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider , 8 Jul 2007

Description of flag:
The ratio of flag is 3:5. It is a plain blue flag with the coat of arms in ist centre. The window of the tower in this version is blue.
Note that the spotted flag doesn't match the description given in Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online
Source: I spotted this flag on 2 July 2007 in Lütjenburg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Jul 2007

Lütjenburg Flag reported 1970

[Lütjenburg 1970] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider , 20 May 2011

Flag reported 1970
It is a blue flag containing a white nettle-leaf, the symbol of the counts of Schaumburg-Holstein.
Sources: Reißmann 1997, p.233 and Stadler 1970, p.104
Klaus-Michael Schneider , 20 May 2011

The flag was approved on 25 April 1952. The artists are Wilhelm Horst Lippert, Hans Joachim Maeder and Walter Umnus.
Klaus-Michael Schneider,


Municipality of Panker

Panker Municipal Flag

[Panker municipal municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 5 Aug 2006
approved 3 June 1999

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Panker Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The blue shield is divided by a broad, silver (= white) pale superimposed by a red Neo-Gothic tower with four pinnacles (Fialen). Two triplets of silver (= white) diamonds ordered paly are flanking the tower.
Meaning:
The tower is representing the former Lordship of Hessenstein, a manor district. The diamonds are representing the former villages of Matzwitz, Gadendorf, Todendorf, Darry, Satjendorf and Panker proper.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 3 June 1999. The coat of arms was approved on 11 August 1998. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Municipality of Schwartbuck

Schwartbuck Municipal Flag

[ municipal municipal flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013
approved 1 March 2012

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Schwartbuck Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The silver (= white) shield is divided by a blue fess wavy. Above is a red gate-lodge. Below are a black pitchfork and a black flail crossed per saltire.
Meaning:
The building displays the gate-lodge of Schmoel Manor. Christoph Rantzau, the owner, freed the peasants from serfdom in 1688, but his successors reestablished the serfdom. In 1741 the peasants filed a suit but lost in court. This happened again 1768. The army ended the following insurrection of the farmers. Also from 1923 until 1930 there were struggles between the farmers and the landlords. Fork and flail are symbolizing all those troubles described above. The fess wavy is symboloizing the local millbrook.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 1 March 2012. The coat of arms was approved on 11 April 2011. The artist is Maiga Wehrsig from Schwartbuck.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013


Municipality of Tröndel

Tröndel Municipal Flag

[Tröndel municipal municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Aug 2006
approved 5 Dec 2002

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The hoist side displays the coat of arms without shield. The flyend is horizontally divided by nine alternating blue and white stripes.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Tröndel Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per bend sinister into silver (= white) over blue. Two blossoms of yellow flag in counterchanged colours are above right and below left.
Meaning:
The bendy line is symbolizing Weddelbek, the creek separating the settlement cores of Emkendorf and Gleschendorf, which formed Tröndel in 1929. In the area are many wet meadows, where the yellow flags (Latin: Iris pseudacorus) grow.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 5 December 2002. The artist is Gisela Gördes from Ascheberg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Feb 2013

Found this site by coincidence some time ago: the Tröndel website, showing the arms and the flag. See especially fourth row, picture on the right - the hoist is on the right, actually).
According to this site, the plants are "Wasserschwertlilien", which I found to be "Iris pseudacorus" or "Yellow flag". See here.
Jan Mertens, 16 Aug 2006

Jan, you should know this vexiplant better than me because it is nothing if not the Brussels flower :-)
The epithet "pseudoacorus" means false Acorus. "Acorus calamus" is a reed called by medieval apothecaries"Calamus aromaticus" (aromatic reed) and known in modern English as "Common Sweet Flag", a poetic name coined by H.D. Thoreau.
The Yellow Flag and the Common Sweet Flag do not belong to the same botanical family but they both grow in marshy areas and have similar leaves - but very different flowers.
Ivan Sache, 3 Sep 2006


back to Plön cities and municipalities click here.