Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bad schwartau | schwartau | bend(wavy) | cross(moline) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The white flag is divided by a black bend wavy. In the lower hoist corner is a red cross moline.
The bend wavy is a canting element. It is understood that the name of the city was derived from "Schwarze Au", which means "black creek". The creek came out of the former swamps. Thus its water was indeed black. Schwartau was founded in the 13th century as a settlement around a mill. Much later the hamlets gained a greater importance by special advancement from the bishops of Lübeck. After the Protestant reformation the bishops became mundane rulers. Since 1777 the bishop in personal union was also duke of Oldenburg, later grand duke of Oldenburg. In 1720 the rights of a market town had been granted by Bishop Christian August. In 1899 Schwartau gained the rank of a spa, having the current name since then. Finally in 1912 Bad Schwartau gained the rank of a city.
The cross in the lower hoist corner is taken from the arms of the bishops of Lübeck. The colours however have been modified. In the coat of arms it is a golden cross in a blue field (above left). Below left there are also the red fesses of Oldenburg in a golden field.
Today the city, a direct neighbour of Hansa City of Lübeck, is famous for excellent marmalades and jams.
Sources: Reißmann 1997, p.314 and Stadler 1970, p.95
The flag was approved on 2 May 1961. The coat of arms was approved on 6 October 1948. The artists are Heinz Kiecksee and Hans F. Momma.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Dec 2012
back to Ostholstein cities and municipalities click here.