This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Rodgau City (Germany)

Stadt Rodgau, Landkreis Offenbach, Darmstadt District, Hesse

Last modified: 2017-03-07 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: rodgau | dudenhofen | hainhausen | juegesheim | weiskirchen | luther-rose | wheel | chevron | castle | belfry | antlers |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Rodgau flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 31 July 2006
adopted 1 Jan 1979 See also:

Presentation of Rodgau City

administration seat: Jügesheim
inhabitants 45,413
Offenbach county
Darmstadt District, state Hesse
City formed on 1 January 1977 from 5 villages
flag adopted 1 January 1979
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther, with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 31 Juyly 2006

Rodgau Banner

It is a red-white-red vertical 3-stripes banner with ratio approx. 1:4:1 and the coat of arms shifted to the top within the white stripe.
Jörg Majewski, 31 July 2006

Rodgau Arms

The shield is parted by a bend sinister wavy Argent, charged with five 5-point stars Sable. Above right in a field Azure is a heraldic rose Argent barbed Vert and seeded by a heart Gules, charged with a Latin cross Sable. Beneath left in field Gules is a wheel Argent, having six spokes.
Meaning:
The upper half shows the Rose of Luther, taken from the arms of Dudenhofen. The lower half shows the wheel of the Archbishopric of Mainz, taken from the arms of Nieder-Roden. The bend wavy is symbolizing the Rodau creek, that runs through the city. The name of the city means "Rodau Shire". The five stars are representing the five former municipalities Dudenhofen, Hainhausen, Jügesheim (nowadays seat of the municipality), Nieder-Roden and Weiskirchen. The arms were officially approved in 1978.
Source: Ralf Hartemink's webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2017


Dudenhofen Borough

[Dudenhofen flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 6 Aug 2006
adopted 14 Apr 1958

Dudenhofen, Borough of Rodgau
incorporated on 1 January 1977
Offenbach county
Darmstadt District, state Hesse
flag adopted 14 April 1958
flag inofficial, used for traditional purposes only
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther, with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 6 Aug 2006

Dudenhofen Banner

It is a red-white-red vertical 3-stripes banner with ratio approx. 3:7:3 and the coat of arms shifted to the top within the white stripe.
Jörg Majewski, 6 Aug 2006

Dudenhofen Arms

The shield is parted per fess. Above in a field Or are three chevrons Gules, beneath in a field Azure is a heraldic rose Argent barbed Vert and seeded by a heart Gules, charged with a Latin cross Sable.
Meaning:
The arms were approved in 1954 and show in the upper part the arms of the Counts of Hanau<(i>, who ruled the area from the Middle Ages until 1701. In the lower part the arms of Martin Luther are shown, which is symbolizing the fact that historically Dudenhofen was the only Lutheran village in a otherwise catholic area. As there were no old seals or arms known, the arms had to be newly designed.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.29
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2017


Hainhausen Borough

[Hainhausen flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 3 Aug 2006
adopted 28 Mar 1957

Hainhausen, Borough of Rodgau
incorporated on 1 January 1977
Offenbach county
Darmstadt District, state Hesse
flag adopted 28 March 1957
flag inofficial, used for traditional purposes only
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther, with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 3 Aug 2006

Hainhausen Banner

It is a 9-stripes banner with alternating red and white stripes and the coat of arms shifted to the top.
Jörg Majewski, 3 Aug 2006

Hainhausen Arms

The shield is Argent, an embattled castle Gules, superimposed by an inescutcheon Argent charged with three chevrons Gules.
Meaning:
The arms were approved in 1954 and show the castle of the Lords of Hainhausen. The castle is known since 1122, but the Lords of Hainhausen called themselves after 1185 Lords of Eppstein. The oldest known arms of Eppstein (which may also have been arms of the Lords of Hainhausen) are shown in front of the castle. The main colours are the colours of Mainz, as the village became in 1425 a possession of the Archbishops of Mainz.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.45
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2017


Jügesheim Borough

[Jügesheim flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 5 Aug 2006
adopted 30 Jul 1958

Jügesheim [Juegesheim], Borough of Rodgau
incorporated on 1 January 1977
Offenbach county
Darmstadt District, state Hesse
flag adopted 30 July 1958
flag inofficial, used for traditional purposes only
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther, with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 5 Aug 2006

Jügesheim Banner

It is a red-green vertical bicolour witn the coat of arms shifted to the top.
Jörg Majewski, 5 Aug 2006

Jügesheim Arms

The shield is Argent, displaying an oak twig Vert, flanked by antlers Gules.
Meaning:
The arms were approved in 1955 and simply show symbols of the rich forests in the area and the many deer in these forests. The colours are taken from the arms of Mainz. The village was part of the Archbishopric of Mainz, and until 1955 used a seal with the wheel of Mainz between two palm leaves and the letters GS (for "Gerichts Siegel").
Source: Stadler 1967, p.54
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2017


Weiskirchen Borough

[Weiskirchen flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 5 Aug 2006
adopted 24 Jan 1959

Weiskirchen, Borough of Rodgau
incorporated on 1 January 1977
Offenbach county
Darmstadt District, state Hesse
flag adopted 24 January 1959
flag inofficial, used for traditional purposes only
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther, with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 5 Aug 2006

Weiskirchen Banner

It is a red-white-red vertical 3-stripes banner with ratio approx. 1:4:1 and the coat of arms shifted to the top within the white stripe.
Jörg Majewski, 5 Aug 2006

Weiskirchen Arms

The shield is Azure with base wavy Or, crowned by a belfry Argent, roofed Gules and topped by an orb Or, the whole is flanked by four watermill wheels Or ordered 2:2.
Meaning:
The arms were approved in 1958 and show the canting white belfry (Weis=white, Kirche=church) between four water mill wheels. The wheels represent the former water mills in and around the village.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.92
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2017


back to Offenbach cities and municipalities click here.