This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Leverkusen (Germany)

Stadt Leverkusen, Northrhine-Westphalia

Last modified: 2012-09-10 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: leverkusen | opladen | lion(red) | fess | counterembattled | per fess | demi-lion | issuant | double queued | crowned | ferry |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Leverkusen city flag] 3:5  image by Stefan Schwoon, 25 Feb 2002 See also:

Leverkusen city

According to Stadler 1972 the flag is green-white-green with the arms. However the city's arms have changed after the book was published [see Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website] so I expect that the flag has changed too.
Stefan Schwoon, 25 Feb 2001

The current flag shows in a plain white field the red lion of the counts of Berg, superimposed by a black fess embattled, counterembattled (Wechselzinnenbalken), taken from the coat of arms of the city of Opladen, which joined the city of Leverkusen in 1974(?), see below.
Source: Hauptsatzung der Stadt Leverkusen, 2, dated 19 July 1975.
Source for CoA: Stadler 1972, p.76
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 June 2007

Leverkusen old flag

[Leverkusen old flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 June 2007

Former flag:
Leverkusen was established in 1930. The municipalities of Wiesdorf (city since 1921), Schlebusch, Steinbüchel and Rheindorf merged. The name was derived from Karl Leverkus, who established in 1862 a factory producing lacquers (probably the beginning of BAYER).
Leverkusen took over the coat of arms, that was granted to Wiesdorf in 1923. This flag must have been abolished at least in 1975.
Description of flag:
The flags ratio is 3:5. It is a horizontal green over white over green flag with the coat of arms in its centre.

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per fess. In the chief is a red, rampant, double queued demi-lion issuant, blue crowned, tongued and armed. The base shows a golden (=yellow) boat with a silver (=white) rudder and a silver (=white) hut above the stern in a green field, gliding on silver (=white) waves.
Meaning:
The lion belongs to the coat of arms of the counts of Berg. The boat is symbolizing the ferry of Wiesdorf. Finally the waves are symbolizing the river Rhine.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.64
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 June 2007


Opladen CoA

[Opladen coat of arms] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 June 2007

back to index of Northrhine-Westphalia county-free cities and counties page click here