This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Neustadt upon Aisch (Germany)

Stadt Neustadt an der Aisch, Kreis Neustadt/Aisch - Bad Windsheim, Mittelfranken District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: neustadt/aisch | shield(bendy) | quartered | crest | dog's head |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Neustadt upon Aisch city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Apr 2014
click on image in order to augment See also:

City of Neustadt upon Aisch

Neustadt City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a black - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source:
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Apr 2014

Neustadt Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a green shield is a bendy shield, quartered of silver (= white) and black. The shield is topped by a silver (= grey) great helm, crested by a golden (= yellow) dog's head with red drop ears and ending in golden and red scarves.
Meaning:
The shield displays the greater arms of the Burgraves of Nürnberg from the Zollern kin. The usage is proven since 1347 on a seal, which probably existed already since 1331. Seals between the 16th century and 1800 display the same pattern. There is evidence from the 15th century and from 1819 displaying just the quartered shield. This is confirmed by Siebmacher (1605), who denotes the shield alone as city arms. Neustadt became a dominion of the Burgraves of Nürnberg in 1190/91. During the rule of Friedrich III the market town with a fortress developed and finally became a city (date not available). During the rule of Marques Albrecht Alkibiades of Kulmbach the city became residence of the sovereign since 1547.
Source: Stadler 1968, p.28

A flag had been granted in 1738, however the pattern is not mentioned.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Apr 2014


back to Neustadt/Aisch - Bad Windsheim cities and municipalities click here