This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Flörsheim upon Main City (Germany)

Stadt Flörsheim am Main, Main-Taunus-Kreis, Darmstadt District, Hesse

Last modified: 2017-04-13 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: flörsheim am main | weilbach | bicolour | ship(ancient) | wheel | demi-wolf |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Flörsheim am Main city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 21 July 2006
approved 17 October 1952 See also:

Flörsheim upon Main City

Banner:
Blue with the coat of arms without shield shifted to the top.
inhabitants 19,932
Main-Taunus County
district Darmstadt, state Hesse
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 17 October 1952
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 21 July 2006


Flörsheim Former Flag


[Flörsheim am Main city flag 1960ies] 3:5 image by Tomislav Todorović, 11 Apr 2017

In the 1960ies the flag had been a plain blue-orange bicolour.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.33


Coat of Arms

Shield Azure with base wavy Argent, sailing on base an ancient ship Or, rigged Or and flagged red-white. The main sail is charged with black initials "FFF". The flag upon stern is red charged with a white 6-spokes wheel.
Meaning:
The oldest court seal from the 15th century displays St. Martin and the beggar, the patron saint of the State of Mainz. Later seals show a bishop on a throne, most likely the bishop of Mainz, as the town belonged to Mainz. In the 18th century a steering wheel was used as a village symbol on boundary stones and the like. In 1816 a ship was used as a symbol for shipping on Main River. The ship was transformed in a large 17th century (sea-)ship in the beginning of the 20th century and the three letters F were added in 1930. The letters stand for Flörsheimer-Fayence-Fabrik, a factory opened in 1765. Flörsheim gained city rights in 1953.
The arms were approved in 1951.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.33
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Apr 2017


Weilbach Borough

[Weilbach borough flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski,
approved 9 Sep 1955

Banner:
It is a red-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Weilbach, borough of Flörsheim upon Main
incorporated on 31 December 1971 (also see No. 53/160)
Main-Taunus County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 9 September 1955
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 26 July 2006


Weilbach Coat of Arms

Shield parted per fess, above Or a demi-wolf issuant Sable tongued Gules, beneath Gules a 6-spokes wheel Argent.
Meaning:
The wheel is alluding to the Archbishops of Mainz, rulers until 1803; the wolf probably to the Counts, later Dukes, of Nassau-Usingen, former rulers since 1803.
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Apr 2017


back to Main-Taunus Cities and Municipalities Page click here