This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Koethen County (Germany)

Landkreis Köthen, Sachsen-Anhalt

Last modified: 2011-02-25 by editor unassigned
Keywords: koethen county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Koethen County flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 14 Jan 2007
adopted ?

Other Koethen county pages: New division: See also:

Koethen County

Here the flags of (still) Koethen [Köthen] county.
Source: E. Günther, Coats of arms and flags of the towns and administrative counties of Saxony-Anhalt, the former province Saxony and the state of Anhalt [Wappen und Flaggen der Stadt- und Landkreise Sachsen-Anhalts, der ehemaligen Provinz Sachsen und des Landes Anhalt], 1996

The county will merge with Bitterfeld county to the new Anhalt-Bitterfeld county (Landkreis Anhalt-Bitterfeld) on 1 July 2007.
Jörg Majewski, 14 Jan 2007

Do you by any chance know how a county, practically in the centre of Germany, acquired a tropical coconut palm in its coa?
Andries Burgers, 14 Jan 2007

The arms were granted on May 30, 1991.
The right part of the arms show a wing, which was used on the crest of the family Von Cöthen, who were probably the founders of the castle in Köthen. The family was mentioned in Köthen in 1156 and became extinct in the 14th century.

The palm tree in the left part of the arms is the symbol of the Palmenorden, an association founded by Prince Ludwig von Anhalt-Köthen (1579-1650) in 1617. The association, officially the 'Fruchtbringenden Gesellschaft' was an association of nobles, scientists and poets and had as their main aim the 'Care of the German language'. It had its seat in Köthen and existed only until 1680.
Literature : Papendieck, H. : Die Wappen der Landkreise und kreisfreien Städte des Landes Sachsen-Anhalt. Landesarchiv Magdeburg, 1996.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.
Jarig Bakker, 14 Jan 2007


Koethen flag with CoA

[Koethen flag with CoA] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 14 Jan 2007
adopted ?

Koethen CoA

[Koethen CoA] image by Jörg Majewski, 14 Jan 2007
granted 30 May 1991