This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Hessisch Oldendorf (Germany)

Stadt Hessisch Oldendorf, Kreis Hameln-Pyrmont, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: hes. oldendorf | nettle leaf(nailed) | star(8-point) | chief |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Hessisch Oldendorf city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Nov 2013 See also:

City of Hessisch Oldendorf

Hessisch Oldendorf City Flag

Description of flag:
It is a red over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: 2(2) of Hauptsatzung of the city of Hessisch Oldendorf, version 22 December 2011
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Nov 2013

Hessisch Oldendorf Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a red shield is a silver (= white) nettle leaf, divided by three nails of the same colour. The shield has a golden (= yellow) chief, superimposed by three red 8-point stars.
Meaning:
Oldendorf , although founded by the Counts of Schaumburg in the 13th century, belonged to the Lordship of Sternberg, symbolized by the chief with stars. In 1377 the Counts of Schaumburg acquired the location and in 1647 Oldendorf became a part of the Landgraviate of Hesse. Until the 16th century the seals of the city just displayed the nettle leaf. The chief with stars was added on the seals from the 16th and 17th century. Since the 18th century the distorted form of the nettle leaf prevailed, including the so called "nails from the cross of Christ", which were also used within the arms of the Landgraves of Hesse. The prefix "Hessisch" was added probably in 1647 in order to distinguish from the nearby Preußisch Oldendorf in Minden-Lübbecke County.
Source: Stadler 1970, p.49


Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Nov 2013


back to Hameln-Pyrmont cities and municipalities click here