This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hanau City (Germany)

Stadt Hanau, Main-Kinzig-Kreis, Darmstadt District, Hesse

Last modified: 2017-06-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: hanau | gr.auheim | kl.auheim | steinheim | wolfgang | chevrons(3) | lion(golden) | swan | wheel | conches(3) | bishop | coronet | fleur de lis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Hanau city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 3 July 2006
approved approx. 1962 See also:

Hanau City

Banner:
It is a red-yellow vertical bicolour. The greater coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Hanau, special status city, a city with more than 50,000 inhabitants in Hesse.
inhabitants: 92,643
Main-Kinzig County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved approx. 1962
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 3 July 2006

Plain Bicolour

[Hanau plain city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 10 June 2017
reported 1967

Banner:
It is a yellow-red vertical bicolour.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 June 2017

Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale, at dexter Sable semy of crosslets Or, a sinister facing lion rampant Or tongued Gules, at dexter Or three chevrons Gules.
Meaning:
Hanau gained city rights in 1303 and the arms are based on the oldest seal, known since 1354. It displays the lion and half chevrons in a shield parted per pale, claiming the rule of the Lords of Hanau-Dorfelden. The seal from 1458 displayed the same pattern.The arms were slightly changed. The crosslets were added in 1358. A court seal from the 16th century displayed the elements in reversed order with complete chevrons. The first seal of the New City, established in 1597 displayed a lion holding the shield with chevrons. Both cities were united in 1833 and chevrons, a bend and the lion were connected in the seal.
The current arms were approved in 1905 as greater arms with a helmet crested with a swan issuant and scarves in the colours of Hanau.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.46
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 May 2017


Großauheim Borough

[Großauheim borough flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 6 July 2006
approved 19 June 1950 and 13 September 1973

Banner:
It is an armourial banner. The charges are at the top. The banner was approved as red banner with arms at top end without shield.
incorporated on 1 July 1974
Main-Kinzig County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 19 June 1950 by Minister of Interior of Hesse and on 13 September 1973
banner unofficial, used for traditional purposes only
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 6 July 2006

Großauheim Coat of Arms

Shield Gules, a 6-spokes wheel Argent, in chief three scallops Argent ordered alongside an invisible bow.
Meaning:
The wheel is the symbol of the Archbishops of Mainz, the former rulers, as the village was a dominion of Mainz from 1425-1803. It became a market town in in 1839 and a city in 1956.The scallops are attributes of St. James the Elder, the local patron saint since the 14th century.
The arms were designed in 1935, but were approved not until 1950 by Minister of Interior of Hesse.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.41
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 May 2017


Klein-Auheim Borough

[Klein-Auheim borough flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 10 July 2006
approved 28 January 1957

Banner:
It is a red-white-red vertical triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:3:1. The coat of arms is shifted to the top within the central stripe.
incorporated on 1 July 1974
Main-Kinzig County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 28 January 1957
banner unofficial, used for traditional purposes only
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 10 July 2006

Klein-Auheim Coat of Arms

Shield Gules, a 6-spokes wheel Argent, superimposed by an inescutcheon Argent, charged with three chevrons Gules.
Meaning:
The arms combine the wheel of the Archbishopric of Mainz with the arms of the Lords of Eppstein. The wheel also appeared on the local seal from the 18th century. Klein Auheim belonged to the Lords of Eppstein until the Archbishops of Mainz acquired the village in the 15th century.
The arms were designed and approved in 1956.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.56
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 May 2017


Steinheim upon Main Borough

[Steinheim upon Main borough flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 7 July 2006
approved 14 February 1952

Banner:
It is a red-white-red vertical triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:3:1. The coat of arms is shifted to the top within the central stripe.
incorporated on 1 July 1974
Main-Kinzig County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 14 February 1952
banner unofficial, used for traditional purposes only
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 7 July 2006

Steinheim upon Main Coat of Arms

Shield Or, a bishop statant, dressed Azure, holding a sword Argent in his right hand, at his feet a 6-spokes whel Argent.
Meaning:
Steinheim gained city rights in 1320 from King Ludwig the Bavarian. From 1425-1802 the city was a possession of the Archbishopric of Mainz, since 1802 Steinheim is part of Hesse. The arms are based on the oldest known seal from 15th century on occasion of the acquisition by the archbishops. Later seals only displayed the wheel with the letters " ST" , but in the 19th century the city reinstalled the old pattern.
The arms were approved in 1952.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.85
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 May 2017


Wolfgang Borough

[Wolfgang borough flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 20 July 2006
approved 10 November 1970

Banner:
The banner is off-centred quartered of red and yellow. The coat of arms is on the common point of all quarters.
incorporated on 1 July 1974
Main-Kinzig County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 10 November 1970
banner unofficial, used for traditional purposes only
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 20 July 2006

Wolfgang Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale; at dexter Azure, a fleur-de-lis Argent stemmed of the same with a coronet Or inside Gules surrounding the stem; at sinister Or three chevrons Gules.
Meaning:
The sinister half displays the arms of the Counts of Hanau. The sinister half is a distinguishing mark, but I have no information about the details.
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 May 2017


back to Main-Kinzig Cities and Municipalities Page click here