This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Leingarten Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Leingarten, Landkreis Heilbronn, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-20 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: leingarten | parted per pale | sword | gridiron |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Leingarten municipal banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 19 Nov 2017 See also:

Leingarten Municipality

Leingarten Banner

It is a red-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 19 Nov 2017

Leingarten Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale, at dexter Gules a sword Argent in pale pointing downwards, at sinister Argent a gridiron Gules.
Meaning:
In 1970 the municipalities of Großgartach and Schluchtern merged, forming the new Leingarten Municipality. The new arms connect the attributes of St. Pancras and St. Lawrence, patron saints of both former municipalities. Großgartach had been a condominium, partially belonging to Württemberg but mainly to Odenheim Abbey. Gro▀gartach already had a seal of its own in the 14th century. There is a print from 1379. It had been the oldest known village seal of Württemberg, displaying St. Lawrence and the gridiron, his instrument of torture. Despite of the many images since 1583, the gridiron alone had been the local symbol of the market town since 1684. The seals of Schluchtern since the 16th century with prints since 1620 all displayed St.Pancras with a sword, coloured since 1901.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.65
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 19 Nov 2017


back to Heilbronn cities and municipalities click here