Last modified: 2017-11-11 by german editorial team
Keywords: bergedorf | ochsenwerder | vierlande |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Bergedorf is a district of Hamburg. It was
annexed by Lübeck in 1420, and belonged to Hamburg since 1868, becoming part of this town in 1937. The flag of the former city of Bergedorf was green over white.
Pascal Vagnat, 5 Jul 2001
Ochsenwerder is a southeastern suburb of Hamburg along the Elbe river. Its name translates as "Oxholm". Its flag can be bought at this
site for only 80 Euros (nur $ 100) - a horizontal bicolor white over red, with in the center the (oxen-less) Coat of Arms.
The flag reminds me of the Sloten-CoA (with at leat one ox) in the Netherlands.
Jarig Bakker, 10 Mar 2005
Since 1556 the common denomination of Vierlande was established for the joint parishes of Altengamme (old island,first mentioned in 1188), Neuengamme (new island), Kirchwerder (both first mentioned in 1212) and Curslack (first mentioned in 1217).
Since the 12th century the region belonged to the dukes of Saxony-Lauenburg.The so called "four lands" should have been actually denoted as four joint parishes. In the 13th century Danish settlers began to reclaim new soil by dyking and draining the swamps at the Lower Elbe. On account of lack of money the dukes of Lüneburg, successors of the Saxonian dukes, had to give in mortgage the four parishes to the Hanseatic Cities of Hamburg and Lübeck. In 1401 the dukes tried to regain control over the region without paying their debts. They were however defeated by the cities in 1420. In virtue of the treaty of Perleburg both cities erected a condomium (Samtherrschaft) over the parishes and the castle of Riepenburg of the dukes. In 1868 Hamburg gained the only control over the parishes by paying a fee to Lübeck. Within the parish of Kirchwerder there existed Saxonian enclaves later part of Lüneburg, afterwards Hannoverian and finally Prussian, which joined Hamburg in 1937 due to Greater-Hamburg-Law (Groß-Hamburg Gesetz).
The inhabitants since the times of the Saxonian dukes always had been free farmers owning a little factor of land. In the beginning the main crops had been barley and hops in order to supply the breweries of nearby Hamburg. Due to new technics (special windmills) there had been made great progress in draining at the end of the 16th century. Together with new streets to nearby Hamburg a boom took place. Since then the farmers extended their range of items, selling now mainly flowers, vegetables and exotic fruit to the citizens of Hamburg. Sources this pageand the article within WIKIPEDIA
Description of flag:
It is a white over red horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: I spotted this flag on 19 July 2009 in Hamburg-
Description of coat of arms:
The shield is quartely divided fimbriated black outwards and golden (=yellow) inwards. The first quarter shows in a red field three golden (=yellow) 6-point stars ordered 2:1. The second quarter also shows three golden (=yellow) 6-point stars ordered bendy in a blue field. The third quarter shows a silver fish in blue field. The fourth quarter shows a silver fleur de lis placed bendy in a red field.
These are the arms of the so called "four lands", combining the arms of former parishes, ordered by quarter Curslack, Altengamme, Kirchwerder and Neuengamme. The fish in the quarter of Kirchwerder already appeared in the arms of the Ribe family. This is known since 1296, when one of the members, Hermann von Ribe being in service of the dukes of Lüneburg, erected the castle of Riepenburg at the mouth of small River Ilmenau between two of her arms on the southern bank of River Elbe.
Source: information given by Hermann Struß, chairman of the local culture club De Latuecht (=the lantern) -Vierländer Kultur- Und Heimatverein von 1987
For further information click: here
back to Hamburg main page click here.