This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wiesbaden City (Germany)

Stadt Wiesbaden, Hesse

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wiesbaden | biebrich | naurod | fleur-de-lis(3) | gridiron | mottock |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[City of Wiesbaden flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 1 Oct 2006
Flag in use since 8 Nov 1935 proved 1907 See also:

Wiesbaden City

Banner:
Blue with the charges of the arms - i.e. a banner of the arms.
Sources: banner from Staack 1997, arms from Stadler 1967, p.93
Stefan Schwoon, 19 Feb 2001

Coat of Arms

The arms of Wiesbaden are identical to the former French Royal arms, and it has been stated that the arms were granted by Karl the Great (German: Karl der Große French: Charlemagne), or that the arms were used as a symbol for Karl the Great, the alleged founder of the city. However, this is not likely, as in times of Karl the Great there were no heraldic arms, and he never used fleurs-de-lis as his symbol.
Wiesbaden was an Imperial City until 1250, when it became a possession of the Counts of Nassau. The oldest known seals date from the early 14th century and show the lion of Nassau. Around 1350 three roses were added, probably to distinguish the arms from similar arms in the County of Nassau. In the early 16th century the roses were replaced by the three fleurs-de-lis. Later that century the lion was removed, at first in images and on buildings, later also in the seals of the city. In 1898 the city officially adopted the arms with the lion, based on the old seals, but these arms were already replaced in 1906 by the present, and more historically correct, arms.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.93

Wiesbaden, city, county free city, large city, state capital
inhabitants 274,865
Darmstadt district, state Hesse
Banner in use since 8 November 1935, approved 1907
A large city is a city with more than 100.000 inhabitants in Germany.
Jörg Majewski, 1 Oct 2006


1910 Flag

[Wiesbaden 1910 flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 1 Oct 2006
flag approved 1910

Biebrich Borough

[Biebrich flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 1 Oct 2006

Banner:
It is a plain black-yellow-blue vertical tricolour.
Flag in use since 20 Mar 1905
Biebrich, borough of Wiesbaden
incorporated on 18 October 1926
district Darmstadt, state Hesse
Flag in use since 20 March 1905
flag inofficial, used for traditional purposes only
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
Jörg Majewski, 1 Oct 2006


Naurod Borough

[Naurod flag] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 4 Oct 2006
flag approved 19 July 1976

Banner:
It is a yellow banner with blue edges, charged with a tin yellow stripe. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Naurod, borough of Wiesbaden
incorporated on 1 January 1977
district Darmstadt, state Hesse
flag approved 19 July 1976
flag inofficial, used for traditional purposes only
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
Jörg Majewski, 4 Oct 2006


Coat of Arms Naurod

Shield Azure, a gridiron Or, in chief two mattocks Or crossed per saltire.
Meaning:
The gridiron is an attribute of St. Lawrence (Laurentius), the local patron saint.
The arms were approved on 22 November 1954 by Minister of Interior of Hesse.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 Apr 2017


back to Hesse County and Municipal Flags click here.