Last modified: 2014-03-18 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: forchheim | per pale | sinister facing | lion(black) | key | trout | crown(bridal) | cherries(2) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Red-yellow stripes, flag and coat-of-arms approved 7 March 1974. The lion in the coat-of-armd stands for the Bishopric of Bamberg, the key comes from the former county Ebermannstadt, and the fish is taken from the city of Forchheim.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 2 Oct 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
"The new arms were approved on March 7, 1974. The key is taken from the old arms of Ebermannstadt. The fish, a trout, is a canting element, as the name is derived from Forchenheim, or home of the trout."
Source: Linder and Olzog 1996.
Santiago Dotor, 14 January 2004
The old arms were approved on 23 July 1962. The lion is that one of Bamberg. The major part of the county belonged to the Bishopric of Bamberg until 1803. The bishops had one of their fortresses in the county. The bridal crown is typical for the area, especially around the area of Reuth. The cherries are symbolizing the important cultivation of cherry trees in the county, on of the biggest in Germany.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.34
Santiago Dotor, 11 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here