This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kirchspielslandgemeinde Heider Umland Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Kirchspielslandgemeinde Heider Umland, Kreis Dithmarschen, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: heider umland | heide-land | hemmingstedt | lieth | lohe-rickelshof | neuenkirchen(dithmarschen) | nordhastedt | ostrohe | stelle-wittenwurth | weddingstedt | wesseln | woehrden | balance | wheel | fleur de lis(red) | anchor | gir |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[KLG Heider Umland subcounty flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 15 Oct 2008
approved 1 January 2008 See also:

Kirchspielslandgemeinde Heider Umland Subcounty (Amt Kirchspielslandgemeinde Heider Umland)

The subcounty was established on 1 January 2008 by merging of the former subcounties of KLG Heide-Land and KLG Weddingstedt, which were dissolved.
Jörg Majewski, 15 Oct 2008

KLG Heider Umland Subcounty Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The flag is horizontally divided by eleven alternating red and white stripes. The stripe at the top edge is superimposed by five white plough shares, the stripe at the bottom edge by six white plough shares. At the hoist is a white rectangle superimposing the inner nine stripes. On the rectangle are a blue balance (above) and a red wheel (below) with five spokes.
Meaning:
The number of plough shares is symbolizing the municipalities of the subcounty: Hemmingstedt, Lieth, Lohe-Rickelshof, Neuenkirchen, Norderwöhrden (no flag entity), Nordhastedt, Ostrohe, Stelle-Wittenwurth, Weddingstedt, Wesseln and Wöhrden. Though not mentioned within source probably also the stripes are alluding to the number of municipalities. The balance is taken from the arms of former KLG Weddingstedt Subcounty. Weddingstedt is one of the four oldest parishes of Dithmarschen and was a juridical and administrative centre from the middle ages to the 19th century. The wheel is taken from the arms of former KLG Heide-Land Subcounty. It is symbolizing progress, mobility and the changes of life. The spokes had represented the five municipalities of the former subcounty. The colours are those of Schleswig-Holstein.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 1 January 2008. The artists are Dirk Becker, Hermann Bolle, Heide Karstens, Uwe Nagel and Renate Stephan.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013

KLG Heider Umland Coat of Arms

[Amt Heider Umland CoA] image by Jörg Majewski, 15 Oct 2008

On the silver shield are a blue balance (above) and a red wheel (below) with five spokes. The shield has a red bordure superimposed by eleven silver plough shares.
Jörg Majewski, 15 Oct 2008


Municipality of Hemmingstedt

Hemmingstedt Municipal Flag

[Hemmingstedt municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 14 Mar 2006
approved 25 October 1988

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The flaghead displays the coat of arms without shield. The flyend is horizontally divided by eleven alternating red and white stripes.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013

Hemmingstedt Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per fess. Above in a silver (=white) field are a black halberd and a black broken lance with a red banneret at the top, displaying a white nettle leaf. Halberd and lance are crossed per saltire. Below in a red field is a blaze in natural colour.
Meaning:
The ensemble above is alluding to the battle of Hemmingstedt, which occured on 17 February 1500. The Ditmarsians - represented by the halberd - defeated King Johann of Denmark and duke Friedrich of Schleswig-Holstein - represented by the broken lance. The blaze is representing the local petroleum refinery, one of the biggest enterprises in Schleswig-Holstein, important for the local development and the power supply.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.176

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 25 October 1988. The artist is Hans Frieder Kühne from Barsbüttel.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Municipality of Lieth

Lieth Municipal Flag

[Lieth municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 14 Mar 2006
approved 22 Machr 2002

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013

Lieth Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per fess into silver (= white) over green. Above is a green oil pump. Below is a silver (= white) plough.
Meaning:
Petroleum refinery and agriculture are the main business lines in Lieth. The former is symbolized by the pump, the latter by the plough. The white colour is representing the moraines. The green colour is representing the marshes.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 22 March 2002. The artist is Hermann Bolle from Wennbüttel.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Municipality of Lohe-Rickelshof

Lohe-Rickelshof Municipal Flag

[Lohe-Rickelshof municipal flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Oct 2007
approved 15 December 2010

Description of flag: The ratio of the flag is 3:5. The flag is divided per bend sinister in white (hoist) and red (flyend) with the figures of the coat of arms without shield.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Source: Hauptsatzung of the municipality of Lohe-Rickelshof version 15 December 2003.

Lohe-Rickelshof Municipal Coat of Arms


Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per bend sinister in silver (=white) and red. In the silver field is a green oak leaf with a single greenish acorn. In the red field is a silver (=white) gear with eight spokes and sixteen teeth.

Meaning:
The silver part is representing the former municipality of Lohe. A "Lohe" is a grove, here probably of oaks. The red part is representing the former municipality of Rickelshof. In Rickelshof there existed steel industries since the 19th century, which is symbolized by the gear. Both municipalities merged in 1966.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.230
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Oct 2007

The flag was approved on 15 December 2010. The coat of arms was approved on 2 August 1978. The artist is Hans Heinz Domke from Marne. The flag was already mentioned in 2003 within the local Hauptsatzung.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Municipality of Neuenkirchen

Neuenkirchen Municipal Flag

[Neuenkirchen municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 15 Mar 2006
approved 12 October 2000

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a green over yellow horizontal bicolour with proportions approx. 5:3. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013

Neuenkirchen Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a golden (= yellow) shield is a red church. The shield has a green base superimposed by a silver (= white) cotton grass (Latin: Eriophorum).
Meaning:
The church of Neuenkirchen - dedicated to St. James - was first mentioned in 1323. The village became seat of a parish already at the beginning of the 14th century. The church burnt down twice in the 18th century. The image probably shows the new building and is thus alluding to the name, meaning "new church". The grass is symbolizing "Weißes Moor", a local highmoor.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 12 October 2000. The coat of arms was approved on 22 August 2000. The artist is Uwe Nagel from Bergenhusen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Municipality of Nordhastedt

Nordhastedt Municipal Flag

[Nordhastedt municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 26 Mar 2006
approved 19 January 1990

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The flaghead displays the coat of arms without shield. The flyend is horizontally divided by seven alternating white and red stripes.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013

Nordhastedt Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver shield is a barfooted Ditmarsian peasant woman. She wears a traditional Ditmarsian garb: a green dress with golden adornments upon her breast and a red bandanna. Her feet disappear in the small, blue base. In her hands she holds a halberd with a blue finial.
Meaning:
There is a legend: In old times Nordhastedt was surrounded by impervious woods, used as a hideout by robbers, which terrorized the local people. Assaulting Nordhastedt they faced angry women, who attacked them, "armed" by any kind of domestic appliance. They managed to expel the gang.
The motiv was created by the Hamburgian artist and painter Oskar Schwindrazheim in 1901. The municipality needed a motiv for the "window of arms" in the newly built county administration in Meldorf. The KLG since then used the image inofficially as coat of arms, because rural municipalities were not allowed to have proper arms. In 1949 the motiv was approved officially. The arms were redesigned in 1990.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.256

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 19 January 1990. The artists are Georg Fink and Hans Frieder Kühne.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Municipality of Ostrohe

[Ostrohe municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 24 Mar 2006
approved 9 July 1989

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a white flag bordered by red stripes on top- and bottom-edge. In the white stripe are (from hoist to fly): a green oak leaf, a black reed mace and a green ear of grain.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Meaning:
The oak leaf is symbolizing the recreation area of Blankeforst and riches of groves. The grain is symbolizing the (former) importance of agriculture. The reed mace is symbolizing Ostroher Moor, a highmoor. It had a great importance because of the digging of peat in past centuries.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.267

The flag was approved on 9 July 1989. The coat of arms was approved on 18 July 1984. The artist is Dirk Becker from Linden.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Municipality of Stelle-Wittenwurth

[Stelle-Wittenwurth flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 20 Mar 2006
approved 30 January 1998

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The flag is quarterly divided into green (upper hoist and lower fly) and white. In the centre of the flag is a farmhouse, standing upon a hill over two crossed oak leaves, all in counterchanged colours.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Meaning:
The hill is a canting element, "Wittenwurth" is a sandy (thus white) artificial hill. The house has the typical lightweight construction of houses built upon artificial hills. The leaves are symbolizing the widespread oak woods of the past.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 30 January 1998. The artist is Uwe Nagel from Bergenhusen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Municipality of Weddingstedt

[Weddingstedt municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 20 Mar 2006
approved 23 November 1989

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is white flag divided by two red, horizontal stripes. Between the stripes is a blue balance.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Meaning:
The colours are those of Schleswig-Holstein. The balance is symbolizing the existence of a law court since the middle ages. Weddingstedt was first mentioned in 1140 and became seat of a parish (Kirchspiel), which had also civil functions. Weddingstedt was one of the four oldest parishes in Dithmarschen. The parish church was dedicated to St. Andrew. Thus a saltire appears in the municipal arms. Weddingstedt had been a juridical and administrative centre until the 19th century.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.354

The flag was approved on 23 November 1989. The coat of arms was approved on 10 June 1986. The artist is Dirk Becker from Linden.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Municipality of Wesseln

Wesseln Municipal Flag

[Wesseln municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 24 Mar 2006
approved 19 June 1989

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013

Wesseln Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
On the base of the golden (= yellow) shield is a green hill. Above are three green, rooted trees ordered 1:2. The shield has a blue chief wavy.
Meaning:
The blue colour is symbolizing the threats caused by the North Sea. The yellow colour together with the trees is symbolizing the moraines with their groves and grainfields. The green colour with the hill is symbolizing the marshes and meadows and the Rugenberg, a prehistorical tumulus.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.363

The flag was approved on 19 June 1989. The coat of arms was approved on 8 April 1986.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Municipality of Wöhrden

Wöhrden Municipal Flag

[Wöhrden municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 19 Mar 2006
approved 5 September 2005

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013

Wöhrden Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
On top of a green hill in a silver (=white) field stands a red church. The hill is superimposing two blue barrulets wavy. Upon the sinister chief point is a green pair of crossed swords.
Meaning:
The green colour is symbolizing agriculture. The hill is symbolizing the artificial hill (Wurt), upon which the municipality had been built. The church is symbolizing Wöhrden as seat of parish. Furthermore the building alludes to the important role of the church during the Ditmarsian struggle for freedom in 1319. The barrulets are symbolizing water, the North Sea and the harbour. The crossed swords are reminding on the Ditmarsian struggle for freedom in 1319 and 1500.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 5 September 2005. The artist is Manfred Rüthlein from Rendsburg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


Former Kirchspielslandgemeinde Heide-Land Subcounty ( ehem.Amt Kirchspielslandgemeinde Heide-Land)

[KLG Heide-Land subcounty flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 7 Mar 2006
approved 8 December 2001

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The hoist side displays a red wheel with five spokes accompanied by a red fleur de lis (above left visible) and a red anchor (above right visible). The flyend is divided by nine alternating green and white girons.
Meaning:
The number of spokes is representing the municipalities of the former subcounty, which had been established in 1974. The municipalities were: Hemmingstedt, Lieth, Lohe-Rickelshof, Nordhastedt and Wöhrden. The wheel is symbolizing progress, mobility and the changes of life. It is also an attribute of St. Catherine, the patron saint of the church in Nordhastedt. Furthermore it is representing the past and the three former parishes within the subcounty. The fleur de lis is an attribute of St. Mary, the patron saint of the church in Hemmingstedt. The anchor is an attribute of St. Nicolas, the patron saint of the church in Wöhrden. The girons are symbolizing the manifolds of little villages, settlement cores and hamlets in the past. Red and white are the colours of Dithmarschen. Green is the predominant colour of the landscape.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online The flag was approved on 8 December 2001. The coat of arms was approved on 22 November 2000. The artist is Hermann Bolle from Wennbüttel.

Flag and coat of arms were abolished on 31 December 2007
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Feb 2013


back to Dithmarschen cities and municipalities click here.