This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Büsum-Wesselburen Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Büsum-Wesselburen, Kreis Dithmarschen, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2013-02-08 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: buesum-wesselburen | reinsbüttel | wesselburen | westerdeichstrich | cottage | hay wagon | farmhouse | mural crown | windmill | spade | mermaid |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

Municipality of Reinsbüttel

[Reinsbüttel municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 26 Mar 2006
approved 30 October 2001

Flag and Coat of Arms are at this webpage.
Jarig Bakker, 14 Mar 2005

Reinsbüttel Municipal Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Feb 2013

Reinsbüttel Municipal Coat of Arms

[Reinsbüttel municipal CoA] image by Jarig Bakker, 14 Mar 2005

Description of coat of arms: The shield is parted by a fess wavy, which is divided into silver (= white) over blue. Above in a green field is a silver (= white) small cottage having a with a thatched roof, made of reed, with visible gutters. Below in a golden (= yellow) field is a black hay wagon.
Meaning: In the middle ages Reinsbüttel was located on the shore of the North Sea. The fess wavy is symbolizing the Wahrstrom, a strait separating Reinsbüttel from Büsum, which had been an island then. Between 1585-1609 Büsum was connected with the mainland by a dam nad the strait disappeared. The house is typical for the lightweight houses in the polders. The cottage reminds of the first inhabitants of the moors, and the marshy landscape is represented by the green colour. The cart symbolizes the tough labour of the farmers, and yellow is for the ripe harvests.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.287

The flag was approved on 30 October 2001. The coat of arms was approved on 23 October 1996. The artist is Horst Otto Peiser from Reinsbüttel.
Jarig Bakker, 14 Mar 2005 and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Feb 2013


City of Wesselburen

Wesselburen City Flag

[Wesselburen city flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 30 Nov 2007
adopted 3 December 1985 (?)

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a white flag. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: 1(2) of Hauptsatzung of the City of Wesselburen, version 17 February 2010
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Feb 2013

Wesselburen Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms: In a red shield on a green hill stands a half-timbered silver (= white) farmhouse with horsehaeads on top of the gable and a closed door with red chevrons. The hill is superimposed by a silver (=white) bar. From the bar three pallets of the same colour go downwards.
Meaning: Bar and pallets are symbolizing drainage trenches. The farmhouse, denoted as "Lower Saxonian" by Stadler, is the typical form built in the marshes. Wesselburen was seat of a parish, became a market town in the 16th century, became rich by trading with grain and cattle, and finally gained the title of a city in 1899. Stadler, Reißmann and the Roll of arms just display the shield. The municipal webpage however shows a shield topped by "brickwork", we usually call that a mural crown. It is silver and its gate has the same pattern like the door in the shield. The shield with mural crown is also mentioned in 1(1) of the local Hauptsatzung.
Sources: Reißmann 1997, p.362 and Stadler 1970, p.111

The flag was approved on 17 February 2010 together with the local Hauptsatzung. The coat of arms was granted on 22 January 1901 by Prussian king Wilhelm II. The artist is Reinhold Boie from Tönning.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Feb 2013


Municipality of Westerdeichstrich

[Westerdeichstrich municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 24 Mar 2006
approved 12 December 2005

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a blue flag with yellow voiders at the hoist and the fly end. The voiders are superimposed by green figures: a windmill at the hoist side and a spade at the flyend. Below in the centre is a yellow, sinister facing mermaid.
Meaning: The blue colour is symbolizing the North Sea. The other colours are symbolizing the cultivation of grain and grasslands. The the local windmill "Margaretha", built in 1845 is the landmark of the municipality and also symbolizing the development of agriculture. The spade is symbolizing dyking and land reclamation. The mermaid is symbolizing tourism.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online
The flag was approved on 12 December 2005. The coat of arms was approved on 8 March 2004.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Feb 2013


back to Dithmarschen cities and municipalities click here.