This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cloppenburg County (Germany)

Landkreis Cloppenburg , Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-07-12 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: cloppenburg(county) | bar(red) | fess(red) | cross(moline) | water-lily(leaf) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Cloppenburg County flag#1]
3:5 image by Stefan Schwoon, 22 Nov 2004
[Cloppenburg County flag#2]
3:5 image by Stefan Schwoon, modified by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 20 Jan 2016
   


flag approved on 17 October 2000; arms on 3 September 1959
See also:

Introduction to Cloppenburg County

Jörg Karaschewski reports in the German mailing list the flag of Cloppenburg County (Lower Saxony), adopted 17 Oct 2000.
Santiago Dotor, 22 Nov 2004


Cloppenburg County Flag

Horizontally blue over red with in the center the coat of arms. Proportions: 3:5. Adopted 17 Oct 2000.
Jarig Bakker, 22 Nov 2004

Meaning:
The colours blue and red are probably derived from the historical Oldenburg colours.
H.v.Heijningen, 14 Oct 2006


Cloppenburg County Arms

Shield quartered of golden and blue, 1st quarter: golden divided by two red bars; 2nd quarter: blue with a golden cross moline; 3rd quarter: silver (or blue) with three red leaves of water lily ordered 2:1; 4th quarter: golden divided by a red fess.
Meaning:
From Ralf Hartemink's site: The arms were granted on September 3, 1959. The arms shows the arms of the former rulers of the district. The water lily leaves in the third quarter are taken from the arms of the Counts of Tecklenburg, who founded the city of Cloppenburg in 1296. Around 1400 the bishops of Münster acquired the area, and ruled the district until 1803. The arms of Münster are shown in the fourth quarter. The upper two quarters are derived from the arms of Oldenburg, as the district belonged to Oldenburg from 1803-1946.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.24
Jarig Bakker, 22 Nov 2004


back to County and Municipal Flags (Lower Saxony / Niedersachsen) click here.