This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Eichstätt County until 1972 (Germany)
Landkreis EichstÃ¤tt, Mittelfranken District, Bavaria
Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: eichstã¤tt county |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Stefan Schwoon
adopted 11th Mar 1966, abolished 30 June 1972
EichstÃ¤tt County until 1972
White-red-yellow, adopted 11.03.1966. The county was enlarged by parts
of Ingolstadt county and was integrated into Oberbayern
district during the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder
and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler
From Ralf Hartemink's International
Civic Arms website: The old arms were granted on March 11, 1966. The
county belonged until 1305 for the largest part to the Counts of Hirschberg.
The deer's head is taken as a symbol for these Counts (Hirch, deer).
The crosier symbolises the bishops of EichstÃ¤tt, the successors of the
Counts of Hirschberg. The area belonged to the bishops until 1803 when
it became part of Bayern. In 1817 King Max Joseph
of Bavaria created the principality of Leuchtenburg
and gave it to his son in law, Eugen Beauharnais, nephew of Napoleon
of France. The principality, to which the county belonged, existed until
1852. The eagle is derived from the eagle of Napoleon
and his dynasty.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 20 Aug 2001