This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Potsdam (Brandenburg, Germany)

Landeshauptstadt Potsdam

Last modified: 2011-06-13 by german editorial team
Keywords: brandenburg | stadt potsdam | landeshauptstadt potsdam | potsdam | coat of arms: eagle (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[City of Potsdam (Brandenburg, Germany)] 3:5
by Stefan Schwoon

See also:


From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

Potsdam was already an important town in the 10th century, which became a possession of the Counts of Brandenburg in the 12th century. The city rights were granted either at the end of the 13th or early in the 14th century. The city gradually became an important city in Brandenburg.

Santiago Dotor, 28 November 2001

Potsdam, 140,000 inhabitants, formerly known as the "Prussian Versailles", is the capital city of the State of Brandenburg.

Ivan Sache, 12 May 2002


Shown in Günther 1996c. The flag was introduced on 7.4.1990. The mural crown is supposed to underline Potsdam's status as the capital of Brandenburg. Arms from Bensing et al, Lexikon Städte und Wappen der DDR, Leipzig, 1984.

Stefan Schwoon, 14 February 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms show the eagle of Brandenburg. The present modern arms were devised in 1957, but the city has always used the eagle of Brandenburg in arms and seals. The oldest seal is known from 1450, but is older as judged from the style. The colours are known since 1753, but most likely have been the same since its foundation.

Literature: Bensing et al. 1984.

Santiago Dotor, 28 November 2001