Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: berlin | bezirk charlottenburg | stadtbezirk charlottenburg | charlottenburg district | coat of arms (city gate: blue) | coat of arms: inescutcheon (eagle) | coat of arms: inescutcheon (prussia) | coat of arms: ine |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 | stripes 1+3+1
by Jens Pattke, coat-of-arms by Gunnar Staack
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 7th January 1957, abolished 31st December 2000
Coat-of-arms and flag officially adopted 7th January 1957. Source: vectorial coat-of-arms image by Gunnar Staack. Flag and coat-of-arms were valid until 31st December 2000. The districts of Charlottenburg and Wilmersdorf merged on 1st January 2001 into the new district Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf.
Jens Pattke, 21 February 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on January 7, 1957 for this district of Berlin. The arms are taken from the arms of the former city of Charlottenburg. Charlottenburg was founded as a castle by Princess Sofie Charlotte of Brandenburg in the 17th century. The castle and village were named after her after her death. In 1705 Charlottenburg became a city and the arms were granted.
The arms show a [city] gate as a canting symbol (Burg) with two small shields, the eagle of Brandenburg [actually that of Prussia] and the horse of Hanover. Princess Sofie was born as Princess of Hanover. In the late 19th century Hupp showed the arms with the eagle facing left instead of right, which would be more appropriate as in heraldry it is common practice that animals in arms of spouses face each other. As with all arms of the Berlin districts, a mural crown with a small shield with the arms of Berlin may be used.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 18 December 2001