Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: svojsin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
At the municipal site is the Coat of Arms, nearly identical to the flag.
The village is to be found in the former Tachov's district locality
next to Stribro (a town approximnately 8 km far-away) and its elevation
above sea-level is 424 metres. It lies in a woody valley of Mze the river.
The village is a sought after turistic region.
Number of inhabitants: 450 (counted to 2005). The settlements of Holyne, Nynkov and Rebri belong to the village.
Technical datas: there is an outlet water's cleaner and a watter supply installed in the village, a territorial plan has been elaborated
We first note the name Svojšín in written streams in attribute to Oldrich
and Beneda the brothers of Svojsin (Odalricus et Beneda de Svaysin) in
1176. They posture in a deed's testimonial line of Sobeslav the Czech prince
for the Kladruby monastery. Both are mentioned as sons of Ctibor one year
earlier already in 1175. Lords of Svojšín did belong to old Czech aristocratic
clans and went along such lines as Hrabisics, Hroznatovecs, Drslavics,
Buzics, Vitkovics, Janovics, Benesovics,
Markvartics, Ronovics and some further ones. Their material attendance in the monarch's closeness declares their extraordinary position in then society's hierarchy. An existence of Svojsin's platform church of st.Peter & Paul doubtlessly bears with their good position intra-consolidating aristocratic municipality. The historians put the church's building to period around 1200. In virtue of some well-preserved structural details (capital in the tower's ground floor, size of the building's blocks) attempts to specify to date the building to 70-80th years of the 12th century are done. Romance church was a part of a bigger district. Its part was a fortress as well, like an aristocratic domicile of Svojšin's lords and doubtlessly also a country's estate kept by its owner. In the 14th century Svojsin was divided to an upper Svojsin with a church of st. Peter & Paul with a fortress and to a lower Svojsin on the other Mze's bank with an own church of an unknown sanctification as well.
There's a possibility to breaklessly track the Svojsin lord's family
succession (as owners of the fortress and Svojsin village) till the end
of the 14th century here. The Svojsin's estate was divided in two parts
in 1396. An owner of one of them became Johanka, widow of Beneda of Svojsin.
The second one happened to Bornik of Stitary, probably as a guardian. Protiva
of Svojsin, probably a descendant of the original owners, became an owner
of the one part in 1407 while the other part got
owned by Hrabis of Pabenice, by sitting on Nalzovy. However Pabenice's sovereigns of Nalzovy got the whole Svojsin's estate later then receiving Svojsti of Nalzovy the ancestral name afterwards. Jirik Svojsky of Nalzovy (+1532) was keeping Svojsin in the beginning of the 16th century. He left his two sons, Burjan and Jost. Both used to be - as not full aged ones - in a guardian's custody of their father's sister, Marketa who married Jirik Cejka of Olbramovice. The first of them came to take his father's legacy around 1540 but died two years later meanwhile his younger brother Jost used to be in a guardian's custody of his older sister Anna though he also evidently died soon - there are no messages regarding him anywhere after 1543. Anna Svojska of Nalzovy married Jirik Prichovsky of Prichovice bringing ancestral Svojsin in. She lived to see a high age and died in 1596 when Svojsin had been refered to under aged children of her son, Jiri Prichovsky
Two centuries lasting Svojsin's possession was started by Jan older Prichovsky of Prichovice (+1594), son of Anna Prichovska of Nalzovy, and his descendants. Antonin Ferdinand Prichovsky of Prichovice on Svojsin (+1713) was promoted to the free lords' condition in 1704. Terezie Judita Sekerkova ze Sedcic (+1769), his widow, had merit in building of the new chateau of Svojsin in 1723, on the old fortress place. She had sons Jan Vaclav, Antonin Petr and Felix Ladislav. They were promoted to the condition of counts 24.9.1759.
Antonin Petr, count Prichovsky of Prichovice, was born 28.8.1707 in
Svojsin. He has his own importance for the municiplity's history because
he doubtlessly belongs among the most important natives. He was - after
his theology studies in Roma and Prague - priested in 1731 and reached
even a doctorhood of theology on the Prague's university. Then he was consecrated
a consecrating bishop of Prague as a titular Emesian bishop with a succession
right (bishop-coadjutor). He became a president of St.Vitus canonry in
the following year and was also named residential bishop of Hradec Kralove
at the same time. He was functioning as the
10th bishop here in 1754-1763. He, as a coadjuctor, automatically became archbishop of Prague 26.10.1796, after the 20th Prague archbishop's Jan Moric Gustav, count of Manderscheid-Blankenheim, death. He gained - as an insignia of his new dignity - a pall in still of the year's December to be enthroned in the following year (13.5.1764). There was a new archbishop's palace built in Prague (square of Hradcany) within the time of his incidence. It is indicated by an archbishop's sign in the frontage till today. The 21th archbishop of Prague died 14.4.1793 and was buried in the St.Vitus cathedral.
The oldest of the three brothers previously mentioned, Jan Vaclav Prichovsky (+1781), was a possessor of Svojsin. His son Frantisek inherited it afterwards. But he was evidently not a good housekeeper as he encumbered the Svojsin's manor in such a degree it had to be sold in an auction. It was auctioned off in 1795 by Josef Jan, the knight of Bigatto. He died 28.3.1812 as the last male member of his kin. An inheritor of Bigattos (by virtue of a testament) became Antonin Karel Josef st. lord of Juncker on Ober-Conreuth (on Horni Hranicna - next to Cheb; +1821) .He was, thanx to his mother, the closest Josef's relation. A part of the inheritance was also the Oselin's estate connected to Svojsin. Czech state of free lords was ratified to Karel Josef Juncker 16.3.1814 and an union of ancestral heraldries and names Juncker and Bigatto was allowed. The Juncker-Bigatto kin's members functioned as authorities of Svojsin till the end of a patrimonial administration in 1850.
ABOUT THE NAME
The following variants of the municipality's name were mentioned in
the process of history: Svaysin (1176), Suaysin (1177), Sweyssin
(1183), Swessingen (1197), Sueisingen (1219), de Zwesina
(1239), Zweyssin (1291), Swaising (1298), Swayssingc
(1312), de Sweyssin (1320), Swaysing (1329), Swayssin
(1369) Swayssin superior, Swayssin inferior (1384 - ok. 1405)
in Sweissin (1407), de Swoyssina (1410), Sweyssyn
(1412), do vsi Swoyssina (1497, 1544), na Svojšíne (1518),
Schweißing, Scheising, ehemals Swogssin, Swogssino
(1833). The linguists explain the municipality name's meaning as it follows:
Svojsin the name came into existence by a possessive suffix - in from old
Czech personal name Svojsa, Svojse and did mean of Svojsa,
so a court. -ing (en) the suffix proofs this local name was very soon adjusted
to the German language.
Source: municipal website.
Jarig Bakker, 18 Nov 2007