This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Odry (Czech Republic)

Nový Jičín okres, Moravian-Silesian region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: odry | herberk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:

Odry town flag

[Odry flag] by Jarig Bakker, 4 Oct 2002

Odry is a town in Novy Jicin district, Moravosilesian region in Czechia. Image based on Exner's VexLex1997 and the coat of arms at
this webpage. Flag adopted 27 Jan 1997. Number of inhabitants by 1 Jan 2002: 7469. The town was founded in the 13th century in a place where a Slavonic settlement named Vyhranov had been placed before. In the 14th century this was an important village. Soon, it became a market town. In the 18th century silver and lead were mined there. During Hussite wars the town was an importing supporting point of the Hussites. As early as in 1774 a wool processing plant was opened in the town. In the middle of the 19th century drapery flourished. The church in the town was originally Gothic. Later, it was re-built in the Baroque style (1691 - 1692). The inside of the church is decorated by paintings by Günther and Lux, painters from Opava. Not long ago, the chateau in the village was demolished after fire. In the park there are scarce woody species. In 1695, 1707 and 1720 major peasant uprising started in the Manor of Odry. The uprising affected several villages. The building of the former canteen, so-called Herberk, is connected with the story "In the canteen" by J.Hašek. In the surroundings of the town storks, Ciconia nigra, can be found. The town's name is derived from the river Odra.
Jarig Bakker, 4 Oct 2002


Odry town coat of arms

[Odry coat of arms] image from this webpage, reported by Jarig Bakker, 4 Oct 2002