This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hnojník (Czech Republic)

Frýdek-Místek okres, Moravian-Silesian region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: hnojnik |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:

Hnojník municipality flag

[Hnojník municipality flag]  image by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 17 Jun 2002, after image by Peter Exner; flag adopted 22 Jan 2001

Number of inhabitants by 31.12. 2000: 1431. The village of Hnojník was mentioned first in 1305. However, it was probably  founded as a Slavonic settlement before colonisation at the end of the 12th century. Since 1445 Hnojník was mentioned as an independent and entirely free property of the aristocratic family of Stašek from Hnojník. Then, Hnojník was a residence of lords. Since 1483 Hnojník was owned by the Prince of Těšín. Since the beginning of the 16th century, different aristocratic families owned this village (family of Pelhřim from Třankovice, family of Tluk from Tošanovice, family of Marklovský from Žebráč and others). In 1736 Barons of Beess from Chrostina became the last owners of the Hnojník estate. They added a Baroque one-storey building to the local chateau. Some time later, in the first half of the 19th century they reconstructed the chateau in the Silesian Empire style. In the 18th century the estate included Hnojník plus several settlements: Rakovec, part of Smyovice = Smilovice, Nebory, Dolní Lištná, and Lyžbice (being a part of Třinec now). At the beginning of the 19th century Horní Tošanovice, Ráj, Darkov, Louky nad Olší and Konská were integrated in Hnojník. In 1888 Emperor Ferdinand's Northern Railway built a railway line. The family of Beess from Chrostina acted in offices of the Duchy of Těšín and was able to keep their position even after disintegration of Austria-Hungaria, i.e. after 1918. The owners, however, lived mostly in Vienna and visited Hnojník in summer time only. In November 1945 the property of the family of Bess was confiscated by Regional National Committee in Český Těšín. Since then until 1996 the chateau was the seat of Local National Committee, České lesy - state forestry company and other companies.
Source: this website.
Jarig Bakker, 18 Jun 2002


Hnojník coat of arms

[Hnojník coat of arms] image from this website, located by Jarig Bakker, 18 Jun 2002