This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Salazar de Las Palmas (Norte de Santander, Colombia)

Last modified: 2014-05-16 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: norte de santander | salazar de los palmas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




image by Eugene Ipavec, 16 August 2008



See also:


Overview

Salazar de las Palmas (or simply Salazar) is a municipality in Norte de Santander Department. It was founded on 4 November 1584 by Capitán Alonso Rangel.
The flag of Salazar is horizontally divided green-blue-vermilion (coffee) with inner ratio of 1:2:1. The blue stripes is charged with four devices.
Source: municipal web site.
Dov Gutterman and Felipe Carillo, 8 August 2008

Translated from municipal web site:
"The flag is rectangular, divided in three horizontal stripes in relative proportions 1:2:1, from top to bottom, light green, sky blue and vermilion (coffee).
Green symbolizes hope; blue, the devotion to Our Lady of Bethlehem; and vermilion (coffee) our resources.
The flag can be summarized as: The hope of the villagers relies on the devotion to Our Lady of Bethlehem and the priceful coffee berry."  
The plants placed in the blue stripe are not described but they seem to be palms, alluding to the complete name of the municipality, Salazar de las Palmas. A yellow charge is placed above each palm.
According to the local tradition, the devotion to Our Lady of Bethlehem dates back to the XVIIth century. It was recorded in 1671 that a woman from the native tribe of Cineras, living in a humble hut on the foot of Trinity Mount (today Belén, in Spanish, Bethlehem), was very devote thanks to the misionary action. Once helped by the Virgin when crossing a torrent, she built a small shrine in her house, which attracted the neighbours and several pilgrims. When miracles started to occur, the shrine was replaced by a chapel.
Coffee is the main crop in Salazar, which is considered as having initiated the coffee industry in Colombia.
Ivan Sache, 15 August 2008


Coat of Arms


image from municipal web site