This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

San Jose de Cucuta (Norte de Santander, Colombia)

San José de Cúcuta

Last modified: 2014-05-16 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: norte de santander | san jose de cucuta | cucuta |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




by Antonio Martins, 30 April 2000



See also:

Other Sites:


Overview

Flag and Coat of arms of the city of San José de Cúcuta, capital of the department of Norte de Santander in Colombia can be found at: http://www.cucuta.com/historia/general.htm together with info in Spanish
Jarig Bakker, 28 November 1999

From the Cucuta site, following Jarig's link:
FLAG : Recognised officially through the Decree #106, May 3rd 19988 (???). On its second article it reads: "This flag will bear the same proportions as the national flag (Colombian flag) and it will consist of: two equally wide horizontal stripes; being the upper one black, as a symbol for the hidden riches of our soil and the latent riches of our people; the lower one being red, symbolising the blood shed by our independence martyrs, the sacrifice and tenacity of the rebuilders of the city, it will sport on its centre as a symbol of the union and continuity between the past and the future the coat of Arms of the City
COAT OF ARMS : Adopted by decree #032 on February the 3rd of 1958. It's oblong and bears as motto the title granted to the City by Cédula Real of the Emperor Carlos IV ["Much noble, brave and loyal city of San Jose de Cucuta"]. On the superior canton of the shield, a brown field, we find the Arms of Doña Juana Rangel de Cuéllar, who founded the city the 17th of June, 1733. Her Arms were fleurs de lis shown as asps in argent and red. The lower canton bears the arms that by law of October 6th, 1821, adopted the National Congress gathered at Villa del Rosario for the Great Colombia [two upward looking cornucopias, blossomed with tropical fruits, and the fasces with the left-facing ax; see the Great Colombia and the Colombia pages for more info]."
Guillermo Aveledo, 24 November 1999


Coat of Arms


by Guillermo Aveledo, 24 November 1999