Last modified: 2011-12-23 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: cauca | bolivar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman, 10 August 2008
The municipality of BolÝvar is in Cauca Department. It was
founded on 10 December 1794.
The flag of BolÝvar is horizontally divided green-red with yellow bar at the hoist, about half the length of the flag.
Source: Municipal website.
Dov Gutterman and Felipe Carillo, 10 August 2008
Further description from the municipal
"The flag is made of a rectangle divided into three parts. One half of the rectangle is vertical, yellow, representing the resources of our municipality. The other half is divided into two equal rectangles; the upper rectangle is green, symbolizing the greenness of our mountains, parts of the Colombian Massif; the lower rectangle is red, symbolizing the blood shed by our heroes during the battles for the independence of our country."
The Colombian Massif ("Macizo Colombiano") is the part of Colombian Andes located in the Departments of Cauca and Nari˝o. Most hydric resources of the north of the country have their source in the massif, nicknamed the Hydric Star of Colombia ("estrella hÝdrica de Colombia").
Ivan Sache, 15 August 2008
image from Municipal website