Last modified: 2012-01-28 by rob raeside
Keywords: neuchatel | eagle | chevron |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Or, an Eagle displayed Sable beaked, langued and membered Gules,escutcheon Or, on a pale Gules three Chevrons Argent.
image located by Esteban Rivera, 10 December 2011
"In 1011, Rudolph III of Burgundy presented a Novum castellum or new castle
(Old French neu, now neuf and Old French châtel, now château, in antiquated
German: Welschen Nüwenburg or Newenburg am See) on the lake shore to his wife
Irmengarde. It was long assumed that this new castle replaced an older one, but
nothing about its location or design is known. At the time of this gift
Neuchâtel was probably the center of a newly created royal court, which was
recently developed to complement the other royal estates which managed western
estates of the Kings of Burgundy". (This was the official starting point of the
commune (ville), thus celebrating in 2011 its 1,000 years of establishment).
"100 years of life and bounces It’s in 1011 that the term 'Novum Castellum' appears for the first time in a donation of a King of Burgundy to his wife; even though this new castle is called "regalissima sedes" (royal estate), it probably is quite modest. The few houses at the foot of the castle that accommodate the garrison form the embryo of the future city of Neuchâtel."
They have two commemorative flags to celebrate the 1,000 years. They are both horizontal flags, they show the year 2011 (split showing the upper half of the writing, on top of "Neuchâtel / A mille ans" in upper case letters. One version is red background with white letters, the other version having both colors inverted.
The picture can also be seen in this picture gallery (see pictures No. 1): http://www.guillaumeperret.com/album/ouverturemillenaire?p=1&s=UA-22945025-1#1
- Ville de Neuchâtel (official website) http://www.neuchatelville.ch
- 1,000 Millenaire Ville de Neuchâtel (official commemorative website) http://www.1000ne.ch/
Esteban Rivera, 10 December 2011