Last modified: 2017-07-04 by rob raeside
Keywords: st. walburg | saskatchewan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Town of St. Walburg lies on the prairies in western Saskatchewan.
According to http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=1204&ProjectElementID=4463, the Grant of Arms, Supporters and Flag was on December 10, 2007. The flag is a banner of the arms and is blazoned “Or three mountain lady’s slipper flowers slipped and leaved proper issuant from a bar wavy Azure set on a base tapissé of wheat Or”.
The symbolism recorded by the Canadian Heraldic Authority is
The shield represents the town’s environmental sensitivities within an area of natural beauty. The wavy bar represents the waters that are necessary to support the area’s vegetation. The town was named after Walburga, wife of an early settler, Rudolph Musch. The wheat alludes to the mixed farming practised in the area and also to the name of Saint Walburga because three ears of grain appear with her in sacred art. She was reported as skilled in the practice of medicine and herbs. The plants are a reminder of the careful environmental planning that facilitated the survival of a marsh and rare flowers through redirecting water flow and transplanting plants.Source: http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=1204&ShowAll=1