Last modified: 2013-10-11 by rob raeside
Keywords: new brunswick | rivière-verte |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 8 September 2013
The village of Rivière-Verte (744 inhabitants in 2011; 709 ha) is located
in Madawaska County.
Rivière-Verte (lit., Green River) was settled in 1794 by colonists coming from Kennebecasis, who landed at the mouth of Green River after a long canoeing journey on river Saint-Laurent. The colonists established sawmills and built a small village. The mission of Rivière-Verte, named for the colour of the river, was founded in 1890. The fist mass was celebrated outdoors on 18 October 1890. A chapel dedicated to the Sacred-Heart was consecrated on 6 November 1910. The parish of Rivière-Verte was canonically erected on 11 September 1923 by a Decree of the Bishop of Chatham, His Grace Patrice-Alexandre Chaisson. The civil parish of Rivière-Verte was established in 1919.
http://www.riviere-verte.ca - Municipal website
The flag of Rivière-Verte was designed in 1990, as "a token of tribute, pride and respect for the municipality and the people who inhabit it". The flag is diagonally divided yellow-white by a broad green bend. Yellow represents the sporting spirit of the municipality. White represents the purity of the race, nobleness and pride. It reflects the Acadian and French pride of the inhabitants. The green bend represents the Green River, the village's namesake, which crosses the municipal territory from northwest to southeast. Green reflects the natural resources, the purity of the forests and the fertility of the soil.
http://www.riviere-verte.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119&Itemid=127 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 8 September 2013