Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | adamantina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 29 December 2012
The municipality of Adamantina (33,797 inhabitants in 2010; 41,178 ha) is located 580 km of São Paulo.
The symbols of Adamantina, designed by Pr. Arcinóe Antonio Peixoto de Faria, are prescribed by Law No. 1,123 of 16 February 1972. The flag is red with three white horizontal stripes, each with a narrow black stripe overlaid; over all a white triangle extending from the hoist bearing the coat of arms.
The striped design symbolizes a town planned according to the rules
adopted by the CAIC ("'Companhia de Agricultura, Imigração e
Colonização") to divide the land into plots with a mean area of 16
alqueires [usually in São Paulo State, 1 alqueire = 2. 42 ha], all the
plots being connected to the road and water supply systems.
The white triangle represents the town as the seat of the
municipality; it is also a symbol of liberty, equality and fraternity.
White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, and
The coat of arms framed in the triangle represents the municipal
The stripes represent the municipal power spreading to the whole
municipal territory. Black is a symbol of austerity, prudence,
knowledge, moderation and firmness.
The red quarters represent the rural estates part of the municipality.
Red is a symbol of fertility, dedication, patriotic love, audacity,
intrepidity, courage and valiance.
http://www.adamantina.sp.gov.br/portal/bandeira.jsp - Municipal website
Photo of the flag:
The coat of arms is "A Samnitic shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. Argent a cross flory gules voided throughout cantonned by four axes sable. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee fructed proper and sinister by a branch of plant of groundnut. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed with '1939 - ADAMANTINA - 1948' in letters argent."
The Samnitic shield, the first style of shield introduced from France
to Portugal and inherited by the Brazilian heraldry, evokes the race
of the colonizers and main builders of the nation.
The eight-towered mural crown argent is the symbol of a second-rank
town, the seat of a "comarca".
The cross symbolizes the Christian spirit of the inhabitants, its
flory arms recalling the beauty and the nobleness of the woman whose
name was adopted for the municipality. Gules (red) is a symbol of
patriotic love, dedication, fertility, audacity, intrepidity, courage
and valiance. Argent (silver) is a symbol of peace, friendship, work,
prosperity, purity and religious feeling.
The axes represent the epos of the clearing of the forests at the
onset of the colonization cycle. Sable (black) is a symbol of
austerity, prudence, knowledge, moderation and firmness.
Coffee and groundnuts are the main products of the fertile and generous
soil and the pillars of the local economy.
The years '1939' and '1948' stand for the foundation and municipal
http://www.adamantina.sp.gov.br/portal/brasao.jsp - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 29 December 2012