Last modified: 2013-03-19 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | rancharia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
1 March 2013
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancharia
Divided per bend sinister, white over dark green, with the municipal arms in the upper hoist.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 14 January 2013
Rancharia originates in a "rancho" established in 1916 to house the
men building the Sorocabana Railway. It seems that the place was named
for the "ranchos" that pre-existed the railway, located in the forest
and used by the muleteers and oxen cart drivers to overnight. The
first inhabitants of Rancharia were José Silva de Oliveira, Francisco
Isidoro, José Custódio Dias de Araújo, Antonio Figueiredo and Antonio
Palácio. The agronomist Júlio Lucan, who delimited the plots, is
considered as the official founder of the town. The day of
inauguration of the railway station, 10 September 1916, is considered
as the official day of foundation of the town. In 1933, some of the
inhabitants attempted to have the name of the town changed for
Tabauna, to no avail. The district of Rancharia was established by
Decree No. 6,470 of 28 May 1934, as part of the municipality of Quatá.
The municipality of Rancharia was established by Decree No. 7,357 of 5
July 1935. The district of Iepê was made a municipality by Decree No.
14,334 of 30 November 1944.
http://www.rancharia.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
Photos of the flag:
Ivan Sache, 1 March 2013