Last modified: 2013-01-21 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | piraju |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 5 January 2013
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piraju
A red flag with a blue triangle extending from the hoist to the fly with a yellow fish in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 5 January 2013
Piraju was known to the Cayowá natives as Tijuco Preto (Entrance Way). In 1860, the Arruda, Faustino and Graciano families offered pieces of land to establish a settlement called São Sebastião. The parish of São Sebastião do Tijuco Preto was established in 1871, as part of the municipality of São João Batista do Rio Verde (today, Itaporanga). The municipality of São Sebastião do Tijuco Preto was established by Provincial Law No. 111 of 25 April 1880 and renamed Piraju in 1891.
The flag is red with a blue triangle charged with a yellow fish.
The flag appears to be derived from the municipal coat of arms, "Per
fess, 1. Azure a fish or, 2. Gules a helmet over two arrows crossed
per saltire all or. The shield surmounted by a mural crown or port
sable. The shield surrounded by two branches of coffee fructed
proper. Below the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the
municipality's name surrounded by the dates '1871' and '1880' all
The flag has retained the yellow fish that makes the arms canting,
Piraju being named for two Tupi-Guarani words meaning "a yellow fish".
Ivan Sache, 7 January 2013