Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | pereiras |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
20 January 2013
Based on: http://www.camarapereiras.sp.gov.br/bandeira.htm
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 2 January 2013
The symbols of Pereiras are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal
Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990 and last amended in 1999, as
"the flag, the coat of arms and the anthem prescribed by Municipal Law."
http://www.camarapereiras.sp.gov.br/conteudo/leis/organica.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag and arms are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 691 of 25 November 1980.
The flag was designed by the town's historian, Dr. Paulo Fraletti, with the collaboration of Maria Tereza de Oliveira Pinto. The flag is made of five vertical stripes, from hoist to fly, green, black, red, blue and white. The dimensions of the flag are 14 units x 20 units. As an example, a flag of 1.12 m in height will have a unit size of 8 cm and a width of 1.60 m. The first three stripes are each of 1 unit in width - 24 cm all together. The fourth stripe is 4 units in width - 32 cm. The fifth stripe is 13 units in width - 1.04 m. The municipal coat of arms, also designed by Dr. Paulo Fraletti, is placed over the blue and white stripes.
The colours are the same as for the national (green, blue and white) and São Paulo State (black, red and white) flags. They represent Brazil and São Paulo State, to which the municipality of Pereiras is integrated, as an indivisible cell of the same national and provincial organism. Green represents the primary forest crossed by a trail linking Tatuí to Botucatu (Sorocaba-Mato Grosso), near which was established an inn; the Pereiras' chapel that was built nearby was the origin of the town, founded in 1829-1832 by five families from Bragança involved in agriculture and cattle breeding. Green is a symbol of hope, abundance and better future. Blue represents the sky, as well as the Shells' River, a tributary of the Tietê, watering the old parish of Tatuí, in the municipality of Itapetininga. The water was a source of subsistence and a support to agriculture and cattle breeding. Blue is a symbol of the ideal, of the religious feeling and of the force of the early colonists. White, black and red, from the State flag, represent the triple origin of the population: white (Portuguese and immigrants of European origin), black (Africans), and red (Natives). Red is a symbol of the audacity, courage and value of the colonists and founders of the town. Black is a symbol of their austerity and strong-mindedness. White is a symbol of work, prosperity, friendship, loyalty, leisure, honesty and achieved conquests.
The shield, in Portuguese style, is horizontally divided into two
fields by a double fess wavy, the lower fess broken and the upper fess
charged with three shells ("conchas"), representing Shells' River
(Ribeirão das Conchas). In the upper left corner, a double cross. In
the lower left part of the upper half, an inn. In base, a lyre. The
shield surmonted by a moon crescent pointing upwards [instead of the
mural crown, symbol of municipal emancipation, found in most Brazilian
municipal coat of arms].
The green and red colours have the same meaning as on the flag.
The Shells' River, which divides the municipal territory, is a symbol
of life, fertility and salubrity, as well as of the contribution of
the municipality to the State, since the river flows into the Tietê,
the Paulista river, used as a natural way of development and conquest
of the hinterland. The three shells recall the first name of the
place, Bairro do Ribeirão das Conchas (then, a district of Tatuí) and
its first official name, Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição do
Ribeirão das Conchas (11 August 1874).
The inn represents the first sign of civilization - the opening of
trails to reach the forest and the fields - and recalls the origin of
The double cross represents the two old chapels, the first erected in
1839 by the Pereira (Pereira Araújo) and Bento da Serra (Pereira
Barbosa), families, together with João Chagas and Pedro da Barra, and
the second established on 11 August 1874 by the inhabitants of
The moon crescent is the symbol of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, the
patron saint of Pereiras, Tatuí, Bragança, Brazil and Portugal.
The lyre recalls that Pereiras is traditionally known as a musician's
town and as the "Land of the Poets and Orators".
http://www.camarapereiras.sp.gov.br/bandeira.htm - Website of the Municipal Council
Ivan Sache, 20 January 2013