Last modified: 2012-12-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | miracatu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
8 December 2012
Based on: http://www.miracatu.sp.gov.br/portal1/municipio/hino_brasao.asp?iIdMun=100135340
A red-white-red vertical triband, ratio 1-2-1, with the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 8 December 2012
Miracatu was originally known as Prainha, a settlement founded on the left bank of river São Lourenço, near a small beach ("praia") where travellers used to rest while their canoes were repaired. In July 1847, the French Pierre Laragnoit purchased a piece of land from Domingos Pereira de Oliveira and his wife. On 14 June 1871, he offered land for the building of a church and a cemetery. The District of Prainha was established on 6 April 1872. The municipality of Prainha was established on 30 November 1938 by Decree-Law No. 9,775. In 1944, the name of the municipality had to be changed since a municipality of the same name already existed in Pará State. Miracatu is named for Tupi-Guarani words meaning "The Land of Kind People". The main access to the town was by the river, until the inauguration in 1914 of the Santos-Juquiá branch of the Sorocabana railway. In the beginning of the 20th century, Japanese immigrants introduced the cultivation of bananas and rice in Miracatu. Banana cultivation covers today 4,500 ha, with a yearly production close to 100,000 tonnes.
The flag of Miracatu is vertically divided red-white-red, with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The central, white stripe appears to be wider than the red stripes.
The blog "Miracatuando", however, presents the flag with the white stripe slightly narrower than the red stripes: http://miracatuando.blogspot.fr/2009/04/bandeira-oficial-de-miracatu.html. The same blog presents a photo of the flag; unfortunately, the lateral parts of the flag are, obviously, missing on the photo, preventing any conclusion on the relative width of the stripes: http://miracatuando.blogspot.fr/2009/04/miracatu-miracatu-minha-terra.html
The coat of arms of Miracatu was designed by Lauro Ribeiro da Silva.
The shield is in French modern style, as a tribute to Pierre
Laragnoit, the founder of the town.
The upper half of the shield is blue, charged with a fess wavy argent
on which sail tow canoes laden with coffee; this s a representation of
river São Lourenço, which waters the municipality. Issuant from the
river, a green mount represents the "Morro do Cafezal", where coffee
was grown by slaves.
The lower half of the shield is yellow, a symbol of prosperity,
crossed per bend by a railway, a symbol of development.
The shield is surmounted by a mural crown or, recalling the barns
built by the salves in the Prainha Estate.
The shield is surrounded dexter by banana leaves and sinister by a
plant of rice, symbolizing important crops in the municipality.
Below the shield is a scroll argent inscribed "1872 - MIRACATU -
1944" in red letters. The two years recall the foundation and the
emancipation of Miracatu, respectively.
http://miracatuando.blogspot.fr/2009/04/brasao-explicativo-de-miracatu.html - "Miracatuando" blog
Ivan Sache, 9 December 2012