This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Juquiá, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | juquiá |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Juquiá, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 19 April 2013
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Juquiá (19,269 inhabitants in 2010; 82,096 ha) is located 130 km of São Paulo.

Juquiá was founded in 1829 by Felipe Fernandes and other colonists on the banks of river Juquiá, close to its confluence with river São Lourenço. The original name of the place, Santo Antônio de Juquiá, was shortened to Juquiá by Law No. 9,073 of 31 March 1938. The municipality of Juquiá was established in December 1948. Juquiá means "a fish trap" or "muddy waters", referring to the dark colour of the river's water. - Municipal website

The symbols of Juquiá are prescribed in Article 3 of the Municipal Constitution, last amended on 20 December 2012, as "the flag, the coat of arms and the municipal anthem, whose design and use shall be prescribed by Law". - Municipal Constitution

The flag of Juquiá is blue with two horizontal white stripes in the lower half of the flag. In canton is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms. The coat of arms is canting, showing a rebus of the name of the municipality's name, "a fish trap" in Tupi-Guarani.


Ivan Sache, 19 April 2013