Last modified: 2013-04-22 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | herculândia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 5 April 2013
Herculândia was founded on 26 July 1927 by Captain José Pereira da
Silva, aka “Pereirinha”, in "an area of thick forest inhabited by
Indians and different animal species". The original name of the
village was Sant' Anna, a tribute to St. Ann, celebrated on 26 July,
and to the mother of the founder, named Anna. The district of
Herculânia was established on 18 September 1830, as part of the
municipality of Glicério, and transferred on 30 November 1938 to the
municipality of Pompéia.
The municipality of Herculândia was established by State Decree-Law
No. 30,334 of 30 November 1944. The town is named for Uladislau
Herculano de Freitas (1865-1926), Governor of Paraná (1890), Minister
of Justice and Domestic Trade of Brazil (1913-1914) and Director of
the Faculty of Law of the University of São Paulo (1916-1825).
http://www.herculandiamais.com.br - "Herculândia Mais" website
The symbols of Herculândia are prescribed in Article 2 of the
Municipal Constitution, adopted on 17 March 1990, as "the flag and the
anthem, representative of its culture and history". Oddly enough, the
coat of arms is not listed among the municipal symbols.
http://camaraherculandia.sp.gov.br/index2.php? - Municipal Constitution
The flag is blue with a yellow-red-yellow (1:2:1) saltire. In the middle is placed a yellow rectangle charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 5 April 2013