Last modified: 2012-12-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | guapiaçu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
2 November 2012
A light blue field, three wavy white horizontal stripes, overlain by a central white disk bearing the municipal.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 2 November 2012
Guapiaçu was originally known as São Sebastião do Ribeirão Claro, named for the patron saint of the chapel and the neighbouring river. Colonel José Batista de Lima is considered as the founder of the settlement, without firm historical evidence. The district of Ribeirão Claro was established in 1927 by Law No. 2,215 and inaugurated on 18 March 1927. The district was renamed Guapiaçu on 30 November 1944 by Decree Law No. 14,314. The municipality of Guapiaçu was established on 30 November 1953 by State Law No. 2,456, seceding from the municipality of São José do Rio Preto.
The symbols of Guapiaçu are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 538 of 10 September 1976.
The flag is blue with three white wavy stripes. In the middle is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms. The dimensions of the flag are 14 units x 20 units. The stripes are 2 units in height. The diameter of the white disk is 8.5 units. The height of the coat of arms is 6.5 units.
The flag in actual use is significantly different from the image shown on the municipal website. The shade of blue is brighter, closer to the Argentine blue. The waves are much smoother but more numerous - five instead of three. Finally, the lower white wave does not touch the bottom of the flag.
http://www.lufavero.com.br/imagens/social/5f3e86b110c1a62.jpg - Photo of the flag
The coat of arms, designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is "Azure three fesses wavy argent a chief or charged with a bundle of three arrows gules. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a branch of orange tree and sinister by a branch of coffee the tow leaved and fructed proper. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the toponym 'GUAPIAÇU' in letters or."
The Iberic shield, used in Portugal at the time of the discovery of Brazil, evokes the early colonizers and builders of the country. Azure (blue) is a symbol of nobleness, dignity, sweetness, beauty, justice, incorruptible firmness, preservation, zeal and loyalty. The fesses wavy represent the water resources of the municipality, especially the rivers and the old name of the place, Aguas Claras (lit., Clear Waters). Argent is a symbol of happiness, purity, frankness, truth, integrity and friendship. Or is a symbol of wealth, splendour, generosity, nobleness, glory, power, force, faith, prosperity, sovereignty and rule. The arrows evoke St. Sebastian, the patron saint of the town. Gules is a symbol of courage, valour, nobleness , generosity and honour. he mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The open ports symbolize hospitality. The branches of orange tree and coffee highlight the fertility of the soil.
http://www.guapiacu.sp.gov.br/Index.asp?Ir=Historia - Municipal
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2012