Last modified: 2013-04-22 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | gastão vidigal |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 6 April 2013
Gastão Vidigal was founded on 24 June 1925, as São João da Bela Vista,
by Jorge de Oliveira Marques and João Pereira Dias. The village,
subsequently renamed Brioso, was part of the district of Floreal,
municipality of Nhandeara. The district of Brioso was established by
Law No. 233 of 24 December 1948 and inaugurated on 1 January 1949.
The municipality of Gastão Vidigal was established by State Law No.
2,456 of 30 December 1953 and inaugurated on 1 January 1955. The
municipality is named for the lawyer and politician Gastão Vidigal
(1889-1950); Vidigal was Director of the São Paulo State Bank, and
director or member of the board of several banking and industrial
institutions. State Representative in 1935-1946, Vidigal was also
State Minister of Finance in 1946.
http://www.gastaovidigal.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The symbols of Gastão Vidigal are prescribed in Article 2 of the
Municipal Constitution, adopted on 19 April 1990, as "the flag, the
coat of arms and the anthem, representative of its culture and history".
http://www.camaragastaovidigal.sp.gov.br/pdf/lei_organica.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag of Gastão Vidigal is vertically divided green-white-red with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
Photo (retrieved by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg):
Ivan Sache, 6 April 2013