Last modified: 2013-03-20 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | américo de campos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
6 March 2013
Américo de Campos was founded in 1920, as Vila Botelho, by Manoel Francisco Tomaz and Henrique de Souza Lima. The village was quickly renamed São João das águas Paradas. The district of Américo de Campos was established by State Law No; 2,180 of 27 December 1926, as part of the municipality of Tanabi. The municipality of Américo de Campos was established by State Law No. 233 of 24 December 1948 and inaugurated on 10 April 1949. The municipality is named for the journalist and politician Américo Brasílio de Campos (1835-1900), who defended abolitionist and republican ideas and was appointed Consul in Naples after the proclamation of the Republic.
The flag of Américo de Campos is red with two horizontal white stripes in the upper and lower parts of the flags. A white triangle placed along the hoist is charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 6 March 2013