This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cornélio Procópio, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2008-08-30 by ian macdonald
Keywords: cornelio procopio | saltire (yellow) | coat of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Cornélio Procópio, 
PR (Brazil)] 9:13  image by Joseph McMillan

See also:

About the Flag of Cornélio Procópio

According to the source, the flag was approved by Law No. 469 of 2 December 1948. However, this seems unlikely given the design and the description of the symbolism, which appear to be the work of the heraldist Arcinóe Antônio Peixoto de Faria, who was active in the 1970s and 80s. Moreover, it seems unlikely that a municipal chamber that had passed only 53 laws from 1 January to 28 October 1948 (the date that law no. 53 approved the coat of arms; see below) would have passed a further 416 in little more than a month. The flag is blue, with a white central rectangle on which is placed the coat of arms of the municipality, and from which issue eight white stripes, dividing the field into eights. Each white stripe is surmounted by another stripe of yellow and than another of black overall. The dimensions ostensibly follow the official patterns of the national flag, but are stated as nine units hoist by 13 fly (the national being 14 hoist by 20 fly). The central rectangle is three units high by four wide; the stripes are 2/3 of a unit wide, divided into five equal parts (white, yellow, black, yellow, white). The coat of arms was approved by law no. 53 of 28 October 1948. According to the text, the shield should be gold with a column representing "Labor" supporting the star that appears in the national coat of arms, surrounded by the legend, "Município de Cornélio Procópio - Estado do Paraná." However, the images of both the coat of arms and the flag show the shield blue with the column in gold. As usual, the coat of arms in the center indicates the municipal government and the radiating stripes the expansion of its power to all areas of the municipal territory. The colors are assigned the usual symbolism in Brazilian civic heraldry, especially in the work of Peixoto de Faria.
Source: Official municipal website
Joseph McMillan, 11 July 2002