Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: mato grosso | barra do bugres |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Dirk Schönberger, 17 November 2010
Source: adapted from http://cid-57cc02038c003794.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents
A green flag with a red saltire, fimbriated white, and the municipal arms on a centerd white rectangle.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 17 November 2010
The municipality of Barra do Bugres (34,312 inhabitants in 2010; 7,229 sq.
km) is located in southwestern Mato Grosso, 160 km of Cuiabá. The municipality
is made of the town of Barra do Bugres proper and of the districts of Assari,
Curupira and Nova Fernandópolis.
Barra do Bugres was founded in 1878, as Barra do Rio Bugres, by colonists exploiting ipecacuanha (Carapichae ipecacuanha (Brot.) L. Andersson, Family Rubiaceae). Ipecacuanha was transported by boat on river Paraguai to Cacéres and the Brazilian sea ports. In the beginning of the 20th century, river transport dramatically increased, which boosted the development of Cacéres and Barra do Bugres. In 1926, rebels of the Coluna Prestes movement led by Siqueira Campos invaded Barra do Bugres, killing 15 of its defenders, sacking and burning the town. The municipality of Barra de Bugres was created by Decree No. 545 of 3 December 1943, with parts from the municipalities of Diamantino, Cáceres and Rosário Oeste, and inaugurated on 19 April 1944.
The flag of Barra do
Bugres, designed by Alcione Antônio Peixoto de Farias, is prescribed by
Decree-Law No. 322, adopted in 1971. As usual with Peixoto de Farias' design,
the coat of arms represents the municipal government, the white rectangle
represents the town as the seat of the municipality and the saltire symbolize
the municipal power spreading over the whole municipality.
The coat of arms, also designed by Alcione Antônio Peixoto de Farias, blazons as: "Argent an ipecacuanha plant surrounded by two rubber trees all vert the point indented gules charged with two converging fesses wavy argent. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. The shield supported by wooden trunks holding a scroll [gules] charged with "Barra do Bugres", flanked by years "1944" and "1966" [or]." The shield is of the first model of Portuguese shield, of French influence, used in the Brazilian heraldry by the colonizing race and main component of our nationality. The mural crown symbolizes the town ("cidade") as the seat of a country ("comarca"). Argent (silver) symbolizes peace, friendship, work, prosperity and purity. The ipecacuanha and the rubber trees vert (green) represent the most important natural resources of the municipality. Vert (sinople) symbolizes honor, civility, courtesy, joy, abundance and hope, as well as the fields greening in spring, promising big harvests. The indentation gules (red) represents the Tapirapuã mountains crossing the municipal territory. The fess wavy argent (silver) represents River Paraguai while the second fess represents river Bugres, on which the town is located. The wood trunks represent timber industry, including mahogany, a main source of income for the municipality. The red scroll is charged with the name of the municipality and the years "1944" and "1966", the year of political emancipation and of upgrading of the place status to a "cidade" seat of a country, respectively.
http://www.barradobugres.mt.gov.br/Hino-Bandeira-Brasao - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2012