Last modified: 2012-01-13 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | sabara | horses |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 2 September 2010
Yellow over grey bicolor, the municipal arms centerd.
Official website at
The flag is shown on Wikipedia at http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabará
Dirk Schönberger, 2 September 2010
The municipality of Sabará (126,195 inhabitants in 2009; 304 sq. km) is
located in south-central Minas Gerais. Sabará, founded on 17 July 1675 was the
first colonial settlement in Minas Gerais. In 1711, Sabará was granted the
municipal status, as "Vila Real de Nossa Senhora da Conceição do Sabará", in
short, "Vila do Sabará".
The flag is horizontally divided yellow-grey with the municipal seal in the middle. The seal is surrounded by "Vila Real de Nossa Senhora da Conceição do Sabará", and might therefore have been granted in 1711, together with the municipal status.
Ivan Sache, 3 September 2010
The coat of arms of Sabará was created by the artist Alfredo Machado in
the seventies, probably for the celebrations to commemorate the 250th anniversary of
the elevation of Sabará to the status of a royal town. The crown represents the
Portuguese Empire; the horses, nobility; the shield, the surname of the royal family.
The emblem on the coat of arms was used by the intendancy to authenticate gold. Today
it is the official coat of arms of the Prefecture of Sabará.
Dov Gutterman, 24 February 2002