This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Banovići (Municipality, Tuzla Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Last modified: 2014-03-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: banovici | fleur-de-lis (yellow) | sun (yellow) | stecak |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Municipal flag]

Flag of Banovići - Image by Željko Heimer, 3 June 2011

See also:

Presentation of Banovići

Banovići is located in the foothills of the Konjuh mountain. Some of important stećak (standing stone grave monuments) from the 12th century are found in the place called Banović selo, some of them encarved with a fleur-de-lis.
The modern development of the municipality was boosted by the building of the railway Brčko-Banovići, which begun in 1946 and was one of the "monuments of revolutionary work" in the post-war reconstruction and industrialization of the county. The railway was built for export of the high-quality coal extracted in the region.

Željko Heimer, 3 June 2011

Flag of Banovići

The flag of Banovići, as shown on the municipal website (photos no longer online), is, in proportions 1:2, white with the coat of arms in the middle.

Aleksandar Nemet & Željko Heimer, 3 June 2011

Coat of arms of Banovići

[Municipal arms]

Coat of arms of Banovići - Image by Željko Heimer, 3 June 2011

The coat of arms is of an inverted, semi-circular shield shape, inlcuding various elements of modern graphic design; the black elements probably refer to coal, the rising golden sun is set against a green mountain that must represent Konjuh. The white bordered blue shape should recall the stećak, so should also the golden fleur-de-lis.

The Populari database does not list any municipal symbol that would have been used prior to the 1990s or during the war period. The constitutionality of the current symbol was not disputed.

Željko Heimer, 3 June 2011