Last modified: 2015-06-22 by ian macdonald
Keywords: grafton | royal arms | charles ii | baton: sinister |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Jonathan Dixon, using images by Vincent Morley and Rick Wyatt, 16 Apr 2005
The City of Grafton is found on the northern coastal plains of NSW, on the Clarence River. It is sometimes known as the "City of Trees" and is known particularly for it's many jacaranda trees which were planted as part of a tree planting program in the late 19th century.
The flag is a Banner of Arms. The description of the coat of arms can be found at
The crest is a link with an English Dukedom. In July 1923 the ninth Duke of Grafton, John Charles William Fitzroy endowed the City with the right to use the escutcheon as it Coat of Arms adopting his heraldic device and was formally adopted in September 1923.
The description of the Coat of Arms, as taken from Burke's Armory is as follows:
Duke of Grafton Arms - The Royal Arms of Charles II, namely:-
Quarterly: 1st and 4th, France & England quarterly, 2nd Scotland, 3rd Ireland: the whole debruised by a baton sinister, compony of six pieces, argent and azure.
Crest: On a chapeau gules, turned up ermine, a lion statant guardant or, ducally crowned azure, and gorged with a collar counter compony argent and azure.
The Latin Motto which appears on the crest of the crest of the Dukedom "Et Decus Et Pretium Recti" is also the motto of Grafton. It means "The Honour and Recompense of Virtue" and literally means "Both the glory and rewards of right", or more correctly, "Rectitude is both honorable and precious".
Flag observed: On ABC television program about the "Jacaranda Queen", in the
Jonathan Dixon, 9 Sep 2001.