Last modified: 2011-02-12 by editor unassigned
Keywords: komarow-osada |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The origins of the village Komarów can be traced to the first half of
the 14th century
It was a site of two major battles - first, between the armies of Austria-Hungary and Russia in 1914 won by Austria-Hungary with over 10,000 Russian POW's taken.
Second, was the last major cavalry battle in history - Battle of Komarów - on August 31, 1920, where 2,000 Polish cavalrymen under the command of Gen.Juliusz Rómmel destroyed the Soviet Horse Army of Marshal Semyon Budyonny of 17,500 men.
The Poles lost 500 soldiers and no POW's, the bolsheviks lost 4,000 men and 7,000 POW's.
Because Stalin and Voroshilov were the political commissars of Budyonny's Horse Army, the Soviet propaganda, curiously, called that battle a "great success" - even as the army practically ceased to exist any more.
The new Arms and brand new flag of the commune were adopted on July
18, 2008 (resolution # XVII/110/08)
"Arms - on a red field Saint George on horseback with the spear (white with golden trimmings) killing a dragon (gold).
Flag - a rectangle composed of three unequal bands: upper (1/5) - yellow, bottom (1/5) - red and the middle one (3/5) - white with the Arms placed near the hoist.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 20 Jun 2009